What's new

Do i need computer to use iPhone?

apple

Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking about getting iPhone 4 but i'm also moving out of state and will not have access to a PC at all.
Someone told me that i need to set up iTunes first or something to use iPhone initially and then i can use it without access to a PC?
I'm kind of lost a bit. I repeat, I will Not have a PC where I'm going at all so need my phone to work independently so i can browse internet, download apps, pay bills, watch movies you name it all without access to a PC.
Any help?

Strictly speaking you don't need a computer. However your phone needs to be activated via iTunes before you can use it. Just ask the store you buy it from to do it for you.

There are things you won't be able to do, like update your phone or restore it in case of problems. If you don't have access to wifi you won't be able to download apps over 20mb...

There are things you won't be able to do, like update your phone or restore it in case of problems. If you don't have access to wifi you won't be able to download apps over 20mb...

What do you mean "update my phone" and how often do i have to do it?
If its a once a year type of thing then I can manage to get to apple store or whatever so no problem.
I'm just looking for a functional device that doesn't need synchronizing, updating, uploading, restoring or anything to do with connecting it to a PC on a daily or weekly basis.

Apple releases worth while updates to the phone around every couple months. If your having any problems with you phone then it's the first thing you should do. It's not something you have to do but it's occasionally worth it. For instance the latest update let's you find and track your phone, send it messages or even wipe it remotely incase of theft, all for free.

It's also a good idea to sync your phone every now and again to keep everything backed up...

Someone told me that i need to set up iTunes first or something to use iPhone initially and then i can use it without access to a PC?

The previous responses were excellent, but here's my personal opinion. You do NOT need a PC to use the iPhone as long as the "place of purchase" activates it for you and sets up your plan. After that you can use the iPhone as is, download some really cool apps, ringtones, mail, take/send pics, etc. However, the really fine thing about using a PC is to "back up" your current iPhone configurations in case of a future glitch -- kind of like a "restore" function on a PC. This requires a huge and bloated iTunes download and installation onto a PC. Then you plug your iPhone into a PC's USB port and perform the backup. (It's not as simple as that, but after a few tries, it will be. Steve Jobs likes to watch you sweat....)

Ok I think I get it now, thank you for your time.