What's new

Dark Sky: No Longer Getting Notifications

ITGeek

Reaction score
Updated my iPhone 6S to an SE (2020) a couple weeks ago. In the meantime: An iOS update on that and two WatchOS updates.

At some point I stopped getting notifications from Dark Sky on either phone or watch. The morning forecast summaries have disappeared, as well.

I've done all the troubleshooting recommended. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Even tried uninstall/reboot/reinstall and uninstall/reinstall/reboot. Made certain location services were enabled full-time. No help.

Another oddity: Dark Sky does not show up at all under Settings -> Notifications on the phone, or under Watch -> Notifications.

On my iPad, which I have not yet updated to the latest iPadOS, Dark Sky is still functioning normally.

Anybody else using Dark Sky experiencing this? Any ideas as to what's going on?

It’s possible that the developer has abandoned the app and shut down the server that was providing the information. Have you tried contacting the developer?

If this is the app you’re talking about, it’s been purchased by Apple, which could explain some of the issues you’ve experienced. Dark Sky Blog

Yes, I know it's been acquired by Apple. But there were supposed to be no changes for iOS users. And, as I noted, it still works correctly on my iPad. And, yes: I did send an email off to the developer. I just wondered if anybody else'd experienced this and/or had any ideas.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks for the follow-up.

So this turned out to be something of an operator headspace problem.

Somewhere along the line, either when I upgraded phones or updated iOS, all the notifications got turned off in the app. Finally realized it this morning. Turned on a few notifications, the "Dark Sky wants to send notifications" requestor popped-up, and now "Dark Sky" appears under Settings -> Notifications and there's a Notifications section under Settings -> Dark Sky.

So this turned out to be something of an operator headspace problem.

Somewhere along the line, either when I upgraded phones or updated iOS, all the notifications got turned off in the app. Finally realized it this morning. Turned on a few notifications, the "Dark Sky wants to send notifications" requestor popped-up, and now "Dark Sky" appears under Settings -> Notifications and there's a Notifications section under Settings -> Dark Sky.
I’m glad you’ve finally solved your problem.

Update

In the meantime: Not only has Dark Sky's notifications of impending weather changes become a lot more undependable (predictable, when Android was dropped, thus dropping a good deal of the previous user base), but the app's forecasts have become increasingly unreliable, as well.

Dark Sky's radar, never really all that good in the first place, has become even more wonky. (E.g.: Showing storms at a certain location in the thumbnail view on the main page that magically disappear when you open the radar view. Storms that don't exist at all, then *blink*, appear out of nowhere.)

If it was Apple's intent to degrade Dark Sky to the point people would switch to the native iOS app: It looks like Mission Accomplished. Well, partly. I won't switch to iOS' native app, but I probably will find an alternative to Dark Sky.

Suggestions welcome. Just nothing with adverts or monthly/yearly subscription fees.