What's new

Chrome not opening youtube links in App, only in browser.

ImperatorFuriosa

Reaction score
I've had this problem for a few months just kind of let it slide. Got 7 plus beginning of the year after 5 years using Notes, initially I was able to use Youtube App by default when I clicked youtube links in Google Chrome, but since a few months ago it never does this nor can I find anywhere in Chrome or Youtube App settings to change the default.

Both Chrome and YT are updated. It's a bit of a pain in the butt because the app is so much better than browser. I turn off screen rotation so it's usually locked in portrait. With Youtube app I can just hit full screen and it automatically goes to landscape for the video. With it only opening youtube links in browser, I have to turn off screen rotation lock everytime to watch it in full, not to mention the app is better for being able to choose what picture quality I want to watch it in.

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

Try the following:
Go to Safari, open a video there. Tap this button:
9F79A61A-CE2F-4C51-8C1D-BDE8246CB20E.jpeg

Then tap and hold in this area:
D8A7218E-8E7B-41A4-82EA-EC107888F37B.jpeg

This will appear:
A2249423-5F83-4819-9FC5-5503F8070BF1.jpeg

Here, select “Open in YouTube”.
The video will open in the app.

That done, go to Chrome, and try playing a video there. If everything went as expected, it should automatically open in the YouTube app.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much! Worked like a charm! Rarely ever used Safari. Was frustrated there was no checkbox in Youtube App settings, Chrome settings, or even the settings in the system systems.