What's new

Changing computers...HELP!!

Reaction score
I got a new laptop this Christmas and so I downloaded iTunes to the new computer and also transferred my whole music library. But aside from that I don't know way else I need to do so that my phone doesn't know the difference between the computers. Like right now I don't know how to transfer backups or anything, and if I sync it, it's going to completely erase my entire phone and reinstall with what is already in iTunes, which is nothing but music.

ClemsonMarshal said:
I got a new laptop this Christmas and so I downloaded iTunes to the new computer and also transferred my whole music library. But aside from that I don't know way else I need to do so that my phone doesn't know the difference between the computers. Like right now I don't know how to transfer backups or anything, and if I sync it, it's going to completely erase my entire phone and reinstall with what is already in iTunes, which is nothing but music.

When you connect your iPhone to iTunes on your new computer, you will get a popup stating that your phone contains items not in iTunes on your computer. You should be asked if you want to transfer your purchases to the computer. If you agree, everything on your iPhone should be transferred to your computer.

You may want to read the following apple support document...

iTunes Store: Transferring purchases from your iOS device or iPod to a computer

that will help you transfer the purchases.
Well I'm not exactly worried about the purchases. I know iTunes has record of all of that. But I don't buy a lot of music through iTunes. The majority of my music comes from the thousands of CD's I've bought and uploaded onto my computer. I don't want to have to go through that entire process. Plus I don't want to lose the sort order of all my folders/apps. Pretty much all of my settings and non-purchased content is what I'm worried about.

ClemsonMarshal said:
Well I'm not exactly worried about the purchases. I know iTunes has record of all of that. But I don't buy a lot of music through iTunes. The majority of my music comes from the thousands of CD's I've bought and uploaded onto my computer. I don't want to have to go through that entire process. Plus I don't want to lose the sort order of all my folders/apps. Pretty much all of my settings and non-purchased content is what I'm worried about.

The worst case scenario use a mem stick 2 copy your entire music folder, then paste into the folder that says "automatically add to iTunes" make sure to choose the option to let iTunes organize your music for you. Anything you add to that folder will automatically be added and organized into your iTunes music library. Anything that u wanna add one at a time u can click on "import" and that will add to your library one at a time. It's DEFINATELY easiest to paste into the "add automatically" folder shouldn't take more than 60 sec and your iTunes will b good as new

I'll have to do it a few gigs at a time...I have 20GB just in music. But we'll see what happens.

well I just did this, authorized my new laptop using my current credentials and everything... then when I went to sync my Iphone to it the only way I coud was to wipe all the music off the phone and re-sync it. Luckily the apps were left alone, but still... It seems like there would be a simple solution to syncing to a new computer. Not transferring purchases, but just syncing with a new PC...

schollianmj said:
well I just did this, authorized my new laptop using my current credentials and everything... then when I went to sync my Iphone to it the only way I coud was to wipe all the music off the phone and re-sync it. Luckily the apps were left alone, but still... It seems like there would be a simple solution to syncing to a new computer. Not transferring purchases, but just syncing with a new PC...

Did you read the link iFrog provided in his post? It would have enabled you to sync to your new laptop without losing anything.

yea, i read that link, and tried it. Problem I had was that that dialogue didnt come up. In that link it says that that might happen if you previously checked Dont show this again, but since its a newly reformatted hard drive and iTunes was just installed for the first time on it I seriously doubt thats the case. and once you transfer your purchases (which were already downloaded since I authorized that laptop with my Apple ID) it says NOTHING about future syncing. All it says is about Wipe and Sync, which is wat I had to do. Its not that I really lost anything, it was more that I lost a couple playlists I had made. Nothing earth stopping, just annoying.

And Im not sure if that link covers the new iTunes 11.0.1.2 which is the current downloadable version.... I know the interface is different from the version that was out In January 2012 when that article was written, I'm betting the menus and dialogues are different as well.

Last edited: