What's new

Can't swipe to hide facebook notifications

zerobio

Reaction score
Guys, I'm new here and to iphone. Coming from BB. My wife and I just got iphone 5S. She is able to swipe right on the "notification" screen in the FB app and she gets a menu on the left with a grey and red button that allows her to hide individual notifications. I have the exact same phone (got them the same day), same OS, etc. and when I swipe right on the notification screen, my chat screen comes up. On her phone, she can swipe and move individual notifications to choose "hide". On my phone, when I swipe right, ALL notifications move as a group and, as I said, that reveals my chat screen. I cannot hide notifications on my iphone.

I have compared my phone to a bunch of people that have the 5S and they can all hide notifications. Only person that can't seems to be me. Is there something I might have done on my desktop facebook account, changing the odd notification here and there? That's the only thing I can think of that might differ between me and the others. Truth is, I am a newbie, I accept that position but I'd really appreciate if anyone out there can help me solve this. I understand notifications can't be completely removed, I just want to organize them and remove them from view to stay organized because at this point, I have a list of notifications since the beginning of time.

Please help if you can and thank you!

Welcome to iPhone Forums, zerobio!

If you can see your messages - this feature has been moved to an extra app by Facebook more than a year ago, and you can't write messages in the FB app any more. So I'm wondering if it's the FB app from Facebook Inc., Version 53.0, that's installed on your iPhone.
Take a look at your App Store, go to Updates, tap Purchased there, scroll down until you find your Facebook app and see which one it is.

I also can hide notifications, and I didn't find a setting in the app to change this.

J.A.,

Thank you for the reply. I do have the latest version of messenger installed and today, updated to the latest FB app which is 54.0, I believe. Again, I inquired of numerous people who have various editions of iphone (including many with the 5S) and all are able to swipe left and hide notifications. It still seems to be just me for some reason.

I have compared settings on my phone to many others and see no difference. However, there is one thing I've noticed but I don't know if this would matter in any way. When I view my FB news feed, I see "status, photo and check-in" in a bar at the top (similar to how it looks on a desktop) but my wife's 5S displays these options at the side of the top, in smaller icons. I can't imagine why it displays differently for me when we are on the same phone, received them at the same time and everything else seems to be the same.

And that leads me to wonder about my actual FB account and anything I might have changed when on my desktop. Could I have made some changes to notifications or account settings when on my desktop that would change how my account appears and behaves on my iphone? I'm not a complete newbie to FB or computers in general but there are a lot of settings in one's FB account and periodically I do try to clean things up and maybe block notifications from certain groups and such.

I'd really like to solve this so my iphone functions the same as most of the other people I have spoken with. It's not something that should keep me awake at night but it really does bug me for some reason.

Thanks again

You could compare the desktop views of Facebook for both you and your wife to see if you can find any differences in the settings.