What's new

Can't reset iphone 4 to factory settings

peanutmlh

Reaction score
We bought a used iphone 4 from someone for $50, and they told us it was unlocked from their network (Rogers). They gave us the 4 digit password to open the phone, and that's it. But when we went to get it activated with our local carrier, they said we had to "reset network settings" first. When we went to do this it is asking for the old users apple id password because it has "find my iphone" turned on. I don't know their password and can't get a hold of them now. Is there any other way to reset this phone or is it a waste of our $50? Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

The only way to remove the iPhone from the previous owner's iCloud ID would be to contact him and ask him to remove it from Find my iPhone.
There are a few options how this can be done:
iCloud Remove your device from Find My iPhone

Other than that, it's not possible to remove iCloud's activation lock.

Last edited:
Well that isn't good news. I have emailed the email we contacted him at a couple times, but he won't respond. He said he had erased everything and it seemed like he did (there were no pictures or apps or anything). But I guess he didn't erase it all. I guess I'll email him again, but it's been a few days now that we've tried to contact him with no luck so I'm not holding out a lot of hope. Looks like we're out $50 :(

Even if he erased all of his apps, photos and (almost all the ) settings, it's still connected to his iCloud ID, which will make it useless for you, as you can't set it back to factory settings. Sorry!

When you contact him again, also send the link from my previous post. Maybe it will remind him of what he missed when he removed every other information.