What's new

Can you move files from a computer to and from the iPhone 15 using the usb-c ?

digitalcuriosity

Reaction score
I want to transfer files to and from my computer I understand I can use the cloud but would like to use the usb-c.

I want to transfer files to and from my computer I understand I can use the cloud but would like to use the usb-c.
Just copy the file(s) to a usb-c thumb drive attached to the phone, and then use the drive to copy/transfer it/them to your computer. You may need a small usb-c to usb-a adaptor if your computer doesn’t have a usb-c connector.
To transfer files from your computer to the iPhone just repeat the process in reverse.

Just copy the file(s) to a usb-c thumb drive attached to the phone, and then use the drive to copy/transfer it/them to your computer. You may need a small usb-c to usb-a adaptor if your computer doesn’t have a usb-c connector.
To transfer files from your computer to the iPhone just repeat the process in reverse.
Can I just connect my phone or iPad direct to computer and copy and paste them? I already have the needed adapters.

Can I just connect my phone or iPad direct to computer and copy and paste them? I already have the needed adapters.
  1. Connect your device to your computer.
    You can connect your device using a USB or USB-C cable or a Wi-Fi connection. To turn on Wi-Fi syncing, see Sync iTunes content on PC with devices on Wi-Fi.
  2. In the iTunes app
    f344938417f8d295c94901b517e140f1.png
    on your PC, click the Device button near the top left of the iTunes window.
    The Device button selected near the top of the iTunes window.
  3. Click File Sharing.
  4. In the list on the left, select the app on your device that you want to transfer a file to or from.
    For information about supported apps, see the documentation for your apps.
  5. Do one of the following:
    • Transfer a file from your computer to your device: Click Add, select the file you want to transfer, then click Add.
    • Transfer a file from your device to your computer: Select the file you want to transfer in the list on the right, click “Save to”, select where you want to save the file, then click Save To.
The file is transferred to your device or saved in the location you specified on your computer.

On your device, the file can be opened in the app you selected in step 4.

If I try to move a file from my 15 Pro Max to a flash drive, will the flash drive show up as an option?

@carolineM...ok. I see the flash drive in the Files app. Awesome!! So, how do I get my iMovie file (6.5 gig) on to the flash drive..

When I try to move the file to the flash drive, I get this message.

Attachments

• IMG_0679.jpeg
    IMG_0679.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 8
It’s an empty 8 Gig, so technically should be, but I’ll try a larger one and see. This isn’t formatted. Straight off of the shelf and into my 15 Pro Max. Thank you, CarolineM.

It’s an empty 8 Gig, so technically should be, but I’ll try a larger one and see. This isn’t formatted. Straight off of the shelf and into my 15 Pro Max. Thank you, CarolineM.
That's okay 🙂

1. Connect your device to your computer.
    You can connect your device using a USB or USB-C cable or a Wi-Fi connection. To turn on Wi-Fi syncing, see Sync iTunes content on PC with devices on Wi-Fi.
  2. In the iTunes app
    f344938417f8d295c94901b517e140f1.png
    on your PC, click the Device button near the top left of the iTunes window.
    The Device button selected near the top of the iTunes window.
  3. Click File Sharing.
  4. In the list on the left, select the app on your device that you want to transfer a file to or from.
    For information about supported apps, see the documentation for your apps.
  5. Do one of the following:
    • Transfer a file from your computer to your device: Click Add, select the file you want to transfer, then click Add.
    • Transfer a file from your device to your computer: Select the file you want to transfer in the list on the right, click “Save to”, select where you want to save the file, then click Save To.
The file is transferred to your device or saved in the location you specified on your computer.

On your device, the file can be opened in the app you selected in step 4.
Thanks for your reply.

I was able to Share my phone iMovie project video to my iCloud Drive. From there, I downloaded the project to my computer desktop, into iMovie on the computer and export back to the desktop as an mp4 movie. Then load it onto a flash drive. All is good.

I was able to Share my phone iMovie project video to my iCloud Drive. From there, I downloaded the project to my computer desktop, into iMovie on the computer and export back to the desktop as an mp4 movie. Then load it onto a flash drive. All is good.
Great news!