What's new

Broken file system - need help restoring - iphone 4s

criminal

Reaction score
Any help appreciated.

I have an iphone 4s that was jailbroken with eva5ion 6.01. Everything was working fine until last week when some of my apps decided not to work anymore. Probably as a result of some modding in iFile.

Long story short, no matter what I do I cant get the apps to work normally anymore and want to start afresh.

I (probably foolishly) got annoyed and upgraded to 6.1.3, thinking that a firmware update would overwrite any corrupt information in the file registry. Unfortunately it hasnt and I am still experiencing issues. I did restore my personal info using a backup, not sure if that caused anything.

Any ideas?

The best way to get that 4S working the best is to [again] restore iOS 6.1.3 on it. But, this time, don't "restore it from backup" in iTunes, restore it as new. Sometimes, jail break "stuff" is in the backups and may cause issues.

So, restoring from new will fix all that as you are setting up the phone in a fresh-from-the-factory state. You will lose all your data and such, so make sure you've saved pictures and such elsewhere. Then, you'll have to manually put everything back on the phone.

It won't be jail broken any longer, but at least it should work properly.

Marilyn

To add on to what Marilyn said, if you restore the old jailbroken backup onto your phone, you can use iExplorer which has an nice backup extraction portion to it. You can create a complete backup of your phone, then rip out all the necessary pieces that you want to preserve, which includes contacts, pictures, musics, videos, some app data, etc. Or you can simply sync them all to the Cloud and load them back in

Thanks all,

I'll give it a go this weekend and keep my fingers crossed!