What's new

Best way to "save" photos ?

elykoj

Reaction score
getting my wife a new 4 and she takes alot of pictures. what is the best way to save these so she never loses them?

also regarding Photostream, if she does not have any other Apple product, should she shut this off ? shouldnt Camera Roll be enough?

should i use iCloud and iTunes to do backups or is one better than the other?

I only have an iPhone. I do keep photo stream on. It syncs well with my windows laptop.

I only have an iPhone. I do keep photo stream on. It syncs well with my windows laptop.

Problem is my wife takes pictures of everything, she deletes a lot of them too. If Photostream is on, she won't be able to delete individual pictures, correct? If not she will have a lot of space taken up by pictures she doesn't need. Also, if I backup to computer with iTunes, does it save all photo in camera roll?

And in iCloud , it does not give option of loading camera roll to the cloud but I have read that even if Photostream is set to off, the iCloud does save your camera roll?

She can delete pictures in both the Camera Roll and Photo Stream. And if you delete a picture in Photo Stream it is deleted on all devices that sync with that Photo Stream automagically :)

How do you delete photos on Photostream? I was told you could not unless you wipe all out?

That was fixed in iOS 5.1. Long as you are on that version, you can simply click on the picture and hit delete or you can hit the box with an arrow in it and select a group of pictures to delete.

That was fixed in iOS 5.1. Long as you are on that version, you can simply click on the picture and hit delete or you can hit the box with an arrow in it and select a group of pictures to delete.

now if pictures are stored in camera roll and photostream, will that take up alot of memory having duplicate pictures in both? she only has an 8GB so not a ton of extra space. and like i said, she can easily have 1500 pictures on her phone. Thanks for your help by the way.

Yes, there are two copies. But PhotoStream only stores a maximum of 1000 photos before it starts rolling out the older photos. Of course if all those pictures were taken by an iPhone 4S, then you are looking at up to 3.5 gigs of space in use by PhotoStream alone.

I use Dropbox, it allows you to multi select which photos from the camera roll you want to upload, and it syncs them to your pc or laptop...

Yes, there are two copies. But PhotoStream only stores a maximum of 1000 photos before it starts rolling out the older photos. Of course if all those pictures were taken by an iPhone 4S, then you are looking at up to 3.5 gigs of space in use by PhotoStream alone.

So after 1000 photos photo stream will delete them, but if they are in camera roll as well, its not an issue? My question is if she has 1000 pictures in Photo stream and the same 1000 pictures in cameras roll, isnt that going to eat up her 8GB of memory?

So after 1000 photos photo stream will delete them, but if they are in camera roll as well, its not an issue? My question is if she has 1000 pictures in Photo stream and the same 1000 pictures in cameras roll, isnt that going to eat up her 8GB of memory?

I have not pulled apart the exact memory foot print for this to see if iOS 5 tries to save memory by looking for exact duplicates and only setting a marker. I'll try and take a look at that later today to see if I can get a conclusive answer.

Did a 200 photo test to see how much memory the device would use up. There is bad news. iOS's Photo Stream does in fact make a duplicate copy on the device.

So yes, if you have 1000 pictures in the Camera Roll and all 1000 pictures are on the Photo Stream, you physically have 2000 pictures stored on your phone.