What's new

Best way to free up space and save pics and videos safely?

dbnjzb

Reaction score
So, my wife and I both have 16gb iPhone 4s's and we use iCloud with extra storage. We always so quickly run out of space from pics and videos. What way do you go about freeing up room and saving your pics and videos?? We have a pc with Windows 8 with about 500 or more gb of room available. Normally I just plug it in and just transfer them over. I'm I not using a feature in iCloud or photo stream that I should be taking advantage of? Or is that really the best way? If you do anything what then do you do with your pics on computer to keep them safe? We're just so worried about losing stuff. And we want them to be accessible when we need them. Please give any ideas. Thanks!
Dave

Usually pic don't take up a lot of space unless you've got a ton of them. I'm betting that most of your phone is either music, apps, or the biggest hog, movies.

Take a look at the apps on your phone. Is there some you really don't need and never use but have hung on to it? Check out in settings how much space it's using. Got any apps using 1 gb of space?

If it's a paid app and you want to delete it you can and just install it at another time if you want it. As far as picture storage goes you can upload the picture to the cloud, delete it from the phone and access it from the cloud if you need to. 500 GB on a PC is not a lot of free space but certainly enough to store a thousand pictures Movies of course take more space. Store them where you want but I don't think you are going to get a great deal of space from moving pictures. Everyone's different, maybe you have thousands of pictures on your phone I don't know.

In your settings you can easily set how your space is used. Look at that and decide what you want to do.

Yeah actually it is all photos and videos. We don't have any music or movies on the phones and I've already gotten rid of all the extra large apps. We have 2 toddlers so lots of pic and video taking. I thought I read once that photo stream only kept photos for 30 days. Any validity to that? Thanks.

I transfer pics and videos to my desktop computer and zip them into an archive. I then either leave them there or transfer them to a USB key/drive for archival purposes. They're still within reach but no longer taking up space on the iPhone.