What's new

Balances owed on devices

Reaction score
Quick question since I am not too familiar with the ins and outs, but is it true if u activate a phone that still has an unpaid bill/balance on it that the remaining amount is transferred to ur account and therefore ur responsible?

I read that earlier online while searching for a topic regarding unlocking a device that still had an unpaid bill balance. (Id put in the request via ATT since that’s where the phone was from originally and where I currently have service and i got an email back a short while later saying the request was denied due to an “unpaid or past due balance”)

It was an actual article that said the above and not just a person’s opinion. I have never heard this before so I wanted to come here to get the actual truth as I know there are some super knowledgeable folks here. Has this changed? Do they do this now?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The unpaid balance is still owed by the original owner. No one is going to come after you for the balance owing.

Thank u! And that is exactly what I have always thought as well, wouldn’t seem fair to an unsuspecting buyer to activate something and then be stuck with someone else’s bill. That website article should definitely be removed as it is certainly spreading untruths regarding that particular situation.

Thanks again for ur response [emoji4]

Thank u! And that is exactly what I have always thought as well, wouldn’t seem fair to an unsuspecting buyer to activate something and then be stuck with someone else’s bill. That website article should definitely be removed as it is certainly spreading untruths regarding that particular situation.

You’re welcome.

They won’t hold you responsible for the balance but they may not activate that unit until the old bill is paid by someone.