What's new

Apps Running in Background

nehart

Reaction score
Under IOS 6, I could tap the home button twice to reveal all apps running in background. I would stop apps running in background which I found useful in conserving battery usage when my iPhone was not being used. How do you stop apps running in background in IOS 7? It does not work the same as version 6.

Last edited:
Double-click on the home button, you will see a card layout with apps, swipe up on the app's card -- not the icon -- but the card itself. It will kill the app.....

Killing an app does NOT conserve iPhone battery. Anyone that tells you otherwise came from Android or read too many Android forums. The only thing that can drain an iPhone battery down is actually using it.

You may very well be correct in stating that killing apps running in background does not conserve battery draining. But before I started doing that, it appears that when my phone was not in use for a couple hours, I was loosing 8-10%. With no other change, I started killing my apps running in background and my battery would drain only about 2% in the same time period. Is it possible that if say email or Facebook was running in background, that could cause excessive draining depending on how much activity is going on? Btw, thanks on your reply on killing apps running in background.

Last edited:
Killing apps actually causes the system to do more work because apps have to start from scratch when you launch them again. Avoid killing apps and let the system do its job and everything will be fine.

Facebook is, in my opinion, a rogue app and I've heard from reliable sources that it never
sleeps".. even when you haven't run it since restarting the device.

I know we have decided it isn't necessary which is news to me, but I just figured out earlier how to close the apps. You double tap just as you did before and when the rectangular previews come up you swipe up on the preview and it closes