What's new

Apps running in the background?

Rocker

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new, so sorry if this has been covered dozens of times already.
My 5s seems to need recharging more often (consistent usage since day 1) lately. My question is: Do some / any / all apps run in the background when not in use but phone is switched on, thereby draining the battery?
Thanks,
David

From what I understand, they're "paused". However, you can go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and check which apps you allow to refresh in the background. You might also check on Settings > Privacy > Location Services and check which apps you allow to use your location. Keep in mind that manually killing apps is a resource-heavy habit that you might want to curb, if necessary, as manually closing apps requires that they start "from scratch" the next time they are launched (more resource-intensive than utilizing cache).

Also, from what I hear, Facebook is one of the biggest culprits when it comes to draining the battery. I have uninstalled the app and just use Facebook from within Safari.

Thank you ardchoille. I've just learned a lot and I'm trying everything you suggested. I'll now watch the battery drain rate.
David

Thank you ardchoille. I've just learned a lot and I'm trying everything you suggested. I'll now watch the battery drain rate.
David

Don't worry too much about it, the screen itself is a battery killer.. so checking on things frequently will cause the battery drain rate to increase.

Don't worry too much about it, the screen itself is a battery killer.. so checking on things frequently will cause the battery drain rate to increase.

That's true no matter what the device is be it a phone, tablet, or laptop. With current technology the display is the biggest drain on the battery. Hopefully soon they will come up with something that is t as power hungry.

Sent from my Blue iPhone 5c using Tapatalk!

That's true no matter what the device is be it a phone, tablet, or laptop. With current technology the display is the biggest drain on the battery. Hopefully soon they will come up with something that is t as power hungry.

Sent from my Blue iPhone 5c using Tapatalk!
That's also why it's recommended that the screen brightness be set at the lowest acceptable level. It's the backlight that's the battery drain. The screen itself uses relatively little battery power.

Last edited:
I close my apps in the background ones a week or so if I remember because I just hate them all open but don't affect my iPhone 6 plus battery at all.