What's new

Apple to Take on The Cable Titans with Online Apple TV Service

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Apple-TV-Logo.jpg

According to a report from the Wall Street Journal, Apple is planning on taking their Apple TV service to a whole new level. Supposedly, the Cupertino clan intends to offer a stand-alone web-based TV service later this fall. The new service will reportedly cost $30 to $40 per month and will initially include about 25 different channels, including channels from ESPN, FX, ABC, CBS and Fox.

The most noticeable absence is from NBCUniversal. The report indicated that the reason for their exclusion is because negotiations between Apple and Comcast went awry in the past leaving a bad taste in Apple's mouth. NBCUniversal is Comcast's parent company, hence the exclusion of their offerings. The report shared the following details about the headaches experienced by Apple due to Comcast's shenanigans,

Apple and Comcast were in talks as recently as last year about working together on a streaming television platform that would combine Apple’s expertise in user interfaces with Comcast’s strength in broadband delivery. Apple came to believe that Comcast was stringing it along while the cable giant focused on its own X1 Web-enabled set-top box, the people said.

This breakdown would mean that future Apple TV service subscribers would miss out on your popular NBC base channels as well as other NBCUniversal owned channels like USA, Bravo, and E! Entertainment.

Interestingly, Apple TV subscribers wouldn't necessarily need an Apple TV to get their content. Once you have a subscription, you simply need any iOS device for the streaming content. The WSJ report also indicated that Apple plans to announce the service in June of this year. If this turns out to be true, it will be an interesting fight, especially with the HBO Now service which will be available on the Apple TV.

Source: WSJ

Very interesting! I use my Apple TV just about every night so the more services I have access through it the better.

I would be able to watch television on my phone

Brandon
Scholten