What's new

Apple Says Snooping on Your iMessages is Not Possible

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iMessage_snoop.PNG

Following claims from a company called QuarkLab on Thursday that Apple, or the NSA, is able to read your iMessages, BGR reports that Apple has moved swiftly to address the issue via a statement issued today.

“iMessage is not architected to allow Apple to read messages,” Apple spokeswoman Trudy Muller told AllThingsD’s John Paczkowski via a statement today. “The research discussed theoretical vulnerabilities that would require Apple to re-engineer the iMessage system to exploit it, and Apple has no plans or intentions to do so.”

Pretty unequivocal, then, with Apple basically just reiterating what it has previously stated on the issue in response to previous accusations, when it said that its iMessage end-to-end encryption is so strong that even Apple can’t decrypt it.

However, not everyone is convinced by Apple’s protestations, with independent security researcher Ashkan Soltani telling Paczkowski, “We’ve recently seen indication of companies like Skype or Lavabit being forced to enable interception capabilities in their system, so it would be naïve to think that Apple wasn’t at least approached by the government at some point.”

Source: Apple iMessage Security: Apple insists it cannot read iMessages | BGR
Apple Disputes Research Saying iMessage is Not Secure - John Paczkowski - News - AllThingsD

Following claims from a company called QuarkLab on Thursday that Apple, or the NSA, is able to read your iMessages, BGR reports that Apple has moved swiftly to address the issue via a statement issued today. “iMessage is not architected to allow Apple to read messages,” Apple spokeswoman Trudy Muller told AllThingsD’s John Paczkowski via a statement today. “The research discussed theoretical vulnerabilities that would require Apple to re-engineer the iMessage system to exploit it, and Apple has no plans or intentions to do so.” Pretty unequivocal, then, with Apple basically just reiterating what it has previously stated on the issue in response to previous accusations, when it said that its iMessage end-to-end encryption is so strong that even Apple can’t decrypt it. However, not everyone is convinced by Apple’s protestations, with independent security researcher Ashkan Soltani telling Paczkowski, “We’ve recently seen indication of companies like Skype or Lavabit being forced to enable interception capabilities in their system, so it would be naïve to think that Apple wasn’t at least approached by the government at some point.” Source: Apple iMessage Security: Apple insists it cannot read iMessages | BGR Apple Disputes Research Saying iMessage is Not Secure - John Paczkowski - News - AllThingsD

I don't believe Apple. Why are messages saved on the phone (taking up storage space) in such a way that the phone owner cannot view them, retrieve them or even delete them without setting up the phone as new thus deleting everything on the phone and starting over. My phone has 3GB of messages saved that I cannot retrieve view or delete. For what purpose are they being saved without the owners permission? Possibly for Apple, NSA, Law Enforcement or someone else. Makes no sense to save something that NOBODY can access. I contacted apple support and was told there is nothing they can do and if I don't like the messages being saved, then I should set up the phone as new again... Not a good answer. If apple does not address this concern soon I as many others will switch to android phones

I'd take @pod2g's word over Apple's word any day to be honest.

Here's @pod2g's PPT presentation at HitbSecConf2013KUL.

There's a slightly more comprehensive walk through for this if anyone's interested.

Last edited:
I don't believe Apple. Why are messages saved on the phone (taking up storage space) in such a way that the phone owner cannot view them, retrieve them or even delete them without setting up the phone as new thus deleting everything on the phone and starting over. My phone has 3GB of messages saved that I cannot retrieve view or delete. For what purpose are they being saved without the owners permission? Possibly for Apple, NSA, Law Enforcement or someone else. Makes no sense to save something that NOBODY can access. I contacted apple support and was told there is nothing they can do and if I don't like the messages being saved, then I should set up the phone as new again... Not a good answer. If apple does not address this concern soon I as many others will switch to android phones

I can delete messages from both my phone and my iPad. Are they not really deleted when I delete them?

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using Tapatalk HD

I can delete messages from both my phone and my iPad. Are they not really deleted when I delete them?

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using Tapatalk HD

They ARE NOT deleted. Go to Settings, Usage and scroll down to messages and you will see that all messages are saved on your device even though you deleted them in the message app.

All messages are saved thus taking up storage space on your device.

even if they could really spy on our messages, u think they will tell us? no.

I have checked Settings , Usage, Messages, sure enough there are saved messages which I did'nt save, no option to delete.

I have checked Settings , Usage, Messages, sure enough there are saved messages which I did'nt save, no option to delete.

Yes. Exactly my point. Why are messages saved, which we cannot view or restore and are taking up storage space our phone