What's new

Apple promises to fix iMessage problems in next iOS 7 update

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
ios_7_imessage_timestamps_hero.jpg

​
A while ago we reported that a simple networking reset might fix iMessage failures some iOS 7 users were getting. But it seems that the issue persisted and more started to complain about failed iMessages.

However, Apple has finally acknowledged the issue and said that a fix is coming in the future iOS 7 software update.

We are aware of an issue that affects a fraction of a percent of our iMessage users, and we will have a fix available in an upcoming software update. In the meantime, we encourage any users having problems to reference our troubleshooting documents or contact AppleCare to help resolve their issue. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes impacted users.
​​
Even if Apple says the issue affects “a fractions of a percent” of iMessage users, online outlets estimate the number of users that have had issues with the iMessage service to around two million.

Source: ArsTechnica

So glad I held off on iOS 7, really doesn't pay to upgrade early....

How about they fix the bug where once a phone number is locked onto imessage, Apple won't release it if that number switches any other platform, and it blocks messages from ios users from getting through? That's right, if you change from iphone to anything else apple blocks messages from iphones to that person. I just experienced this with my 5S. Tried to move back to my S4 (I like certain features about both phones and trying to decide which one to use), but alas, once I activated my 5S Apple hijacked my number and I can't move back to S4 unless I accept that I won't get texts from my ios friends.

I have tried turning imessage off
I have tried changing my apple ID
I have tried wiping the phone
I have tried deactivating the phone from my icloud account.
I have tried every trick I can find in a search.

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of features of the 5S, but come on Apple, you are a multi billion dollar corporation. Can't be that hard to provide and option to release a number from imessage!!!

A fraction of a percent is a way of saving face. You can't expect them to say anything negative about they're new buggy OS, and really you could say 75% is a fraction of 100%...It's all based on how you look at it. We have a dozen i5's in my office and all but 2 are having this problem. Mine is one of them that doesn't have this problem.

Does anyone know when this update from Apple is supposed to be turned out? Plus lots of people of the imesssage problem. I have a problem with the recipient of the text I am sending NOT getting the text. My texts do not just sit there and wait and wait to send, they will always send right away, but NOTHING to the recipient and I get nothing back. I was messing around with a friends phone today- he and his wife have the same phone, I get all the texts from her phone but 1 out of 10 from his phone. WTF, irritating.

Does anyone know when this update from Apple is supposed to be turned out? Plus lots of people of the imesssage problem. I have a problem with the recipient of the text I am sending NOT getting the text. My texts do not just sit there and wait and wait to send, they will always send right away, but NOTHING to the recipient and I get nothing back. I was messing around with a friends phone today- he and his wife have the same phone, I get all the texts from her phone but 1 out of 10 from his phone. WTF, irritating.
Apple does not say in advance exactly when the updates it is working on will be released. The update will be released as soon as Apple has it working properly. Keep checking the software update area in settings on your phone. The available update will appear there as soon as Apple releases it.

Last edited:
Any idea when this fix will roll out? Resetting the network didn't help me at all.

As a temporary fix, I look to see if it was "delivered". If not, I double-tap the message and tap "send as text message". The only down side to this is if/when the iMessage finally goes through, it looks like a doubled message since it was also sent as a text. After you've done this a couple of times with the same contact, they will automatically go through as text until the next session.

Sounds great but does not work here. Double tab on message does nothing. I have had Two different updates since this problem and nothing has been fixed.