What's new

Apple Pay is Refused by Walmart, Best Buy, CVS and Rite Aid

Did you guys see where the beta version of currentc is getting hacked already? Emails are getting swiped. And it starts. My source is from Engadget.

I keep reading articles from people who have used both in Europe. NFC devices can accept these types of payments unless the retailer programs it not to is what I have read. But, of course, I do not know this first-hand.
Google's website says that it's only possible to use it in the USA. I have an Android, and use it until my iPhone arrives, and I know that I'm not able to use Google Wallet for these kinds of payments. Afaik Apple Pay isn't available here either.

Walmart has been trying to start their own banking systems also. Why let Apple have anything?

Thank you for sharing with me.

Walmart has been trying to start their own banking systems also. Why let Apple have anything?

In this case, the CurrentC system started by Walmart, Best Buy, and others uses old technology and is far less secure than Apple Pay. Almost certainly the primary purpose of CurrentC is to use the large amount of personal data they collect from each customer to enable data mining on a massive scale in order to facilitate large scale targeted marketing campaigns among many other uses.

Unlike with Apple Pay, improving the customer experience is not at the top of the priority list for CurrentC.

In this case, the CurrentC system started by Walmart, Best Buy, and others uses old technology and is far less secure than Apple Pay. Almost certainly the primary purpose of CurrentC is to use the large amount of personal data they collect from each customer to enable data mining on a massive scale in order to facilitate large scale targeted marketing campaigns among many other uses.

Unlike with Apple Pay, improving the customer experience is not at the top of the priority list for CurrentC.
Never has been for those stores. They use the information to order products, customer count and demigraphics. A lot of the information they collect makes the stores better for customers. But I can't say I like the sneaky way they do it.
Walmart banking would make more money for Walmart by charging customer fees and interest. Paying no interest in their own loans and make it easier to move around the world. Actually for Walmart it is a good idea.

i use cash ,until currency isnt made anymore this is how i roll.
my daughters debit card just got suspended because kmart had a security breach . that doesnt happen with cash .
call me old school but "cash is king" .

Wal-mart is part of the CurrentC group. One of the purposes of CurrentC is to allow the retailer to tap directly into your banking account without paying MasterCard or Visa their fee. And because it side steps the credit card, the customer has none of the protections of the Consumer Credit laws. That is not the same thing as WalMart trying to form their own bank, this is in addition to it. The credit card companies and banks think that the Apple Pay model protects so well against fraud that they are willing to pay Apple a hefty fee. And because it is using virtual credit cards, the consumer has all the protections they had using plastic. CreditC already got hacked this week. And when it's open for all, they will put your name, address, Social Security #, Drivers license #, and bank account numbers in their cloud along with your authorization for access. Plus the data mining to add to their profit. So, why let Apple have anything? The banks are willing to pay Apple out of their profit because the fraud protection will save them more. So the question really seems to be Why give Wal-Mart everything?