What's new

Apple looking to minimize vibration noise in iPhone Silent mode

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
apple-vibration-patent.jpg

This week, Apple has posted a couple of new very interesting patents which were immediately spotted by AppleInsider. One of them is related to minimizing and adjusting the vibration noise produced by the iPhone when it’s running in Silent Mode. Most of us will know that Silent Mode isn’t 100% silent mode in smartphones. If you place the device on a table and get an incoming call, the gadget will move and produce a buzzing sound that many users are not very fond of.

To adjust the situation, Apple has come up with a clever idea. It will implement microphones and motion sensors designed to be motion-sensitive. Once a certain threshold has been reached, the sensors will instruct the technology to reduce vibration patterns.

The patent describes two distinct ways of vibration motors, one that is used in the current Apple smartphone model – the iPhone 5 and is called the rotational model and the linear magnetic version that comes with the iPhone 4S. Even if vibration has been minimized, it does mean that users won’t be aware they are receiving notifications. The patent describes alternative ways of doing so. At the moment, users can set their camera flash LED to alert them when notifications have been received. This technique can constitute a quiet and smart alternative.

By Radu

Source - Apple looks to suppress noise created by iPhone 'vibrate' function

Really? I've never noticed o_O My iPhone is in silent mode 24/7 and I toggle my vibrate if I'm expecting a string of texts through SBsettings.