What's new

Alternate Keyboard

Wooly

Reaction score
I am currently using a Droid Incredible and love the phone.. but of course I still want to switch to an iPhone when it's released. But my one concern is that I currently use ShapeWriter as a keyboard replacement on my Incredible. For those of you not familiar with ShapeWriter it is similar to Swype. ShapeWriter is no longer available in the app store or android market but I was able to find a working apk file for android phones that still installs and works. I was not able to do this with an iTunes app file. I found a few files, was able to put them into my iTunes but after syncing with my iPod touch, I received an "unkown error" and ShapeWriter was not installed on my iPod touch. In other words with ShapeWriter not able to work and Swype with an app for iPhones/iPods yet to be approved by apple, does anyone know of a keyboard solution for me to seal the deal on me switching to an iPohne because I can not see going back to typing after discovering the "slide your finger" technology that ShapeWriter/Swype offer.

Did you jailbreak your iPod? If not, you can't install 3rd party apps. It's not a simple checkbox option like in Android. iOS only allows App Store apps to be installed unless you jailbreak.

I did not jailbreak my iPod touch, though I have heard of this term. Is it similar to rooting an android phone? And more so if I jailbreak my iPhone 4 when I get it do I void warranty??

I did not jailbreak my iPod touch, though I have heard of this term. Is it similar to rooting an android phone? And more so if I jailbreak my iPhone 4 when I get it do I void warranty??

from what Ive heard about rooting an android yes it does sound like jailbreaking an iPhone it voids your warnatee if you leave it on we sending it in to apple but a restore as new device through iTunes completely romeves it leaving to evidenence it was there

ok well i am currently running itunes 10.1, and 4.2.1 software for my ipod touch, easiest way to jailbreak this is?

Yes, jailbreaking is pretty much the same as rooting. I'm not sure if you can do it with iOS 4.2 yet, although last I checked it was going to be ready very soon. A quick Google search should get you the answer (or check the Hacking section of this forum).

Also keep in mind that jailbreaking is 100% reversible, and can be done very easily if required.

thanks a lot guys.. i'm hoping that the verizon iphone4 will be able to be jailbroken and that this will give me a swype type keyboard because it is literally twice as fast texting that way.