What's new

Access the Internet on an airplane flight?

GPS uses gps satellite signals. Maps needs internet data, which you can only get from wifi or cell tower signals.
Use of GPS should be okay on the plane because it doesn't transmit signals, only receives them.

I have never attempted to use my phone during flight as we are always told to turn mobile phones off and keep them off all the time as they may intefere with the aircraft navigation.
Question: If cell phones and other devices are potentially so dangerous, why do they allow them on flights? I mean, they don't allow a bottle of water or more than 3 oz. of "X".... ? Just saying...

Question: If cell phones and other devices are potentially so dangerous, why do they allow them on flights? I mean, they don't allow a bottle of water or more than 3 oz. of "X".... ? Just saying...
iPhones and other smartphones and tablets are not as dangerous as we've been led to believe. A number of airlines are even issuing them to pilots to use in the cockpit during the flight. Some flights, usually the longer ones, offer Internet access at highly inflated prices to passengers who wish to pay for it. You can even stream the in-flight entertainment to your iPad or other device. They'd hardly do this if the devices were as dangerous as we were led to believe.

Last edited: