What's new

3GS as an I Pod?

I just (about 3 weeks ago) restored my 5S as new with no SIM installed. I am trying to remember how I got past that point - neither of my other two phones have the same sized SIM, one is larger and one is smaller. I just rebooted (power +home) and I get this
IMG_1484968997.631618.jpg

But it finishes start up as soon as I tap 'ok'. If I get by my computer I will back up my phone and restore to see how I did it. Unfortunately this will take me from 9.3.5 to 10.2 and my current iOS on this is rock stable.

I just (about 3 weeks ago) restored my 5S as new with no SIM installed. I am trying to remember how I got past that point - neither of my other two phones have the same sized SIM, one is larger and one is smaller. I just rebooted (power +home) and I get this View attachment 30140
But it finishes start up as soon as I tap 'ok'. If I get by my computer I will back up my phone and restore to see how I did it. Unfortunately this will take me from 9.3.5 to 10.2 and my current iOS on this is rock stable.
The iPhone 5S uses the nano SIM card. Currently there isn't a smaller SIM card in use by any manufacturer. If you do an iTunes restore on your iPhone, you'll need a SIM card to activate the iPhone after the restore.

Aah then I won't do this again. I could go to the Apple Store or put the original in, I don't want the phone company to start charging for a third phone on the account

No worries. I now have a 4 s and 5 to use as I pods. The folks at T-Mobile told me that I don't need a SIM card in these phones for the purpose of using as an I pod. There is no SIM card in my Apple 5 phone. But it is still receiving messages through WiFi

No worries. I now have a 4 s and 5 to use as I pods. The folks at T-Mobile told me that I don't need a SIM card in these phones for the purpose of using as an I pod. There is no SIM card in my Apple 5 phone. But it is still receiving messages through WiFi
If you ever need to restore one of those iPhones, you'll need a SIM card in the holder in order to activate it after the restore. The card does not have to be associated with a cellular plan, it just has to be in the holder.

I wonder why the 3GS needs a card to use as I Pod, and my 4s and 5 do not?

I wonder why the 3GS needs a card to use as I Pod, and my 4s and 5 do not?
While you don't need a SIM card in the holder while actually using them as iPods, you do need one in the holder if you ever have to restore them in order to activate them after a restore. You can then remove the SIM card if you wish.