What's new

200 folders in DCIM when iPhone is connected to PC

HKDimSum

Reaction score
I just restored my backup data from iTune to my iPhone 6. When I connect it to my computer and tried to look at the photos in file explorer, I discovered it has more than 200 folders under iPhone6-DCIM. Starting from 101Apple to 300Apple. Surely something is wrong. Most of these folders has only 1 or two photos inside. I cannot delete them. It is such a chore to locate any picture now... Anybody has the same problem??

The number of folders in DCIM is controlled by the phone. There doesn't appear to be any logic to the number of them or their contents. You could try transferring your photos to your PC and deleting them but the phone will probably put them back in time.

This is something I just learned to live with.

If you're on a mac, use image capture and skip file explorer. Easiest way to see all photos and modify/delete if you don't like using Photos application.

This is something that Mac users don't have to deal with because the folder structure is not apparent when the images are downloaded to a Mac.

Hmm. Didn't see your post @Junior as I was typing mine. Is there a way of seeing the folder structure on a Mac?

My post was intended to give extra info because I've only seen it on Windows.

The number of folders in DCIM is controlled by the phone. There doesn't appear to be any logic to the number of them or their contents. You could try transferring your photos to your PC and deleting them but the phone will probably put them back in time.

This is something I just learned to live with.

Thanks, kelvinJS. I know I can't control the folders created by the phone. But 200 is HUGE. I just hope to find a way to keep it down. There must be a bug somewhere. Even if I take out all the photos those folders would still be there. I can't delete them. :(

This is something that Mac users don't have to deal with because the folder structure is not apparent when the images are downloaded to a Mac.

No wonder the Apple team is not too active in trying to solve this issue. I encountered it once with my iPhone 5. It wasn't so bad as this. There was only about 20 - 30 folders. Now is worse. 200!!!

If you're on a mac, use image capture and skip file explorer. Easiest way to see all photos and modify/delete if you don't like using Photos application.

Unfortunately I am using windows. :(

I think there was a problem a few years ago when the image counter would start again. Apple, apparently, never considered that people would take more than 9,999 photographs but forgot that people would restore a new phone from a backup of an old one. The backup allowed the new phone to continue numbering from where the old one finished and when the counter started again people lost photographs.

I'm guessing, but the folders may be a way of preventing this. 200 is excessive, though.