What's new

won an auction for a iphone 3gs and don't know if I can fix it

eins

Reaction score
Hello I won an auction for a 3gs on ebay. The seller says he can't get the phone to get past the initial screen where it says I need to activate/connect to iTunes after he erased all his data. He reset the phone to factory settings. the screen looks like this:
r2u5ch.jpg

It is a (MC640LL/A) model.
Questions: Is this connect to itunes screen fixable?
Is this(MC640LL/A) model unlockable and jailbreakable?

thanks willerz2. so the connect to itunes screen is fixable?

Yes. You would, however, have to have an AT&T SIM card in order to activate it. Or, you would have to jailbreak and deactivate the iPhone using RedSn0w, install UltraSn0w to keep your iPhone from locking up and asking you to insert a verified SIM.

i have an old at&t sim card that i could use to activate it. What steps would you recommend willerz2, that I take to fix this connect to itunes screen?

Do a DFU restore to make sure it's really a clean iOS installed, that can be done through iTunes or RedSn0w. If your old AT&T SIM still works, you can use that to activate, then install UltraSn0w, meaning you wouldn't need the deactivate feature checked when checking the items that you want performed on your iPhone when jailbreaking.

How do I know if I have a working at&t sim card?

If you can make calls and such. But for the 3GS I think just any AT&T SIM will work

thanks willerz2, so I should be able to restore this phone easily with itunes or redsnow, then ?

thanks willlerz2, I will update the status of the 3gs when I get it and perform the dfu restore.

I finally received the 3gs and I put in dfu mode and tried to restore with ios 6.0.1 however I got error 1602 in itunes so I downloaded tiny umbrella and opened it and tried to restore again with itunes however now I get error 3194. Can anyone help me out please? I would appreciate it thanks.

3194 is a host error. Remove the ga.apple.com lines in your host file, and delete the host.umbrella created by TinyUmbrella. Then flush your cache. Make sure iTunes is closed and the process ended when doing this.

160X errors are driver related issues. Trying a different USB port, reinstalling the iPhone's driver and trying a different computer are the common solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

hello willerz i tried that and itunes still gives error 1602

thanks