What's new

Wireless charging case WITHOUT lightning connector?

SueAndHerZoo

Reaction score
Hi there.
I would love to use wireless charging with my iPhone 7 Plus, but all the cases I've seen that advertise wireless charging require me to use the lightning connector of the case to plug into the charging port of the phone. Since I use Apple CarPlay when driving, I need to plug my phone into my car charger many times a day so having to remove the lightning connector (that is built into the wireless charging cases) is not convenient and I am sure it will break soon if I keep doing it.

Are there any wireless charging cases that don't use the lightning connector? I used to have a wireless charging case for my Android that had a metal piece incorporated into the case, and before that I had one that enabled me to install something under the back cover of the phone.

Is there such a thing for the iPhone 7 Plus?
Sue

Yours going to have to use the lightning connector. There’s no other way to use a wireless charging case. A properly designed wireless charging case should have its own lightning connector that enables you to use wired charging if necessary.

Yours going to have to use the lightning connector. There’s no other way to use a wireless charging case. A properly designed wireless charging case should have its own lightning connector that enables you to use wired charging if necessary.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. The problem is that I will be removing and replacing the piece of the case into the lightning connector several times a day and I'm sure they are not meant to be handled that much. To use Apple CarPlay you plug the phone into a charger in your car, so several times a day I would be putting that piece of the wireless charging case in and out of the slot.

I know with the Androids you could add a piece inside the back cover but I don't see that feature or option for the Apples. Guess it's time to think about upgrading my iPhone 7+.

Thanks for the reply.
Sue

Or you can use a wireless charging phone car support.
That I’m now using .
Will that connect me to Apple CarPlay? I thought I had to be hard-wired into the car for Apple CarPlay to connect.
Sue

As I know, Apple Car play and (wireless or not) charging are two different things
Correct, they are separate things, but when I hard-wire / plug-in my phone into the car charger I am both charging and connected to CarPlay. I believe I always have to be hard-wired in for CarPlay, which is why I'm looking for a charging case that does not utilize the charging port.

I'm pretty sure I'm out of luck - I would need to remove the wireless charging case each time I want to connect to CarPlay, and I'm sure the cases weren't built for that much activity (removing and replacing the cover several times a day).
Sue

Some newer cars support wireless CarPlay over Bluetooth. Apple CarPlay: everything you need to know | TechRadar
This would enable you to use a wireless charging case and still connect to CarPlay. Check if your car supports wireless CarPlay.

Thanks..... I did check the list of cars that support it last night and my 2019 Subaru Forester was not on the list, but just to be sure I may go through the car's owner manual to double-check.
Sue

Actually, I thought about that, thanks for the reminder! But.... if I use a wireless charging case, the little piece that you need to insert into the charging receptacle of the iPhone is part of the case. So if that charging port is occupied by the case, what do I do with the splitter?
Sue

Look around. I’ve seen wireless charging cases for iPhones that also have a lightning port for wired charging and lightning EarPods. That case would work with the splitter.

OK, I think. But since the actual iPhone only has one "port", how can the case itself have two ports? And trust me, I had been searching the web for several days before I decided to admit defeat and pose the question here. :(
Sue