What's new

Why is 8 Plus So Much Heavier Than 5s?

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
My 8 Plus feels like it must weigh at least 5-6 times more than my 5s. The weight combined with the size makes it a much more awkward mobile for me in some ways. I like my 8 Plus, but I cannot figure out why it should be this much heavier. Is it the "glass" back on it that adds this much weight to it? I do not have a scale sensitive enough to weigh the 8 Plus. Anyone know how much it weighs?

The iPhone 8 Plus weighs 7.13 ounces (202 grams). The iPhone 5s weighs about 4 ounces.

Thanks, J.A. The 8 Plus feels like it weighs well over twice as much! What makes it so much heavier than the 5s? My 5s feels almost weightless in my hand compared to the 8 Plus.

If you have the opportunity to hold the 5s in one hand and the 8 Plus in the other, the 8 Plus feels like a brick compared to the 5s! it feels like it must have a lot more hardware in the inside, but I guess the glass also adds a lot to the weight.

Glass, bigger battery, bigger chip and motherboard, camera etc. hardware advancements will add weight.

I guess that makes sense. Not sure what all is inside these mobiles, but whatever is in there is heavy!

Here’s the inside of the 8 Plus.
698130C4-7849-4170-88ED-7AA6A1F8B5D8.jpeg

Wow, I have never seen a snap of the inside of one of these mobiles before, thanks! That large thing on the bottom must be the battery. It is much bigger than the battery in Android phone. I guess the other large thing on the top side must be the motherboard. Interesting.... It does all look heavy, too.

If you think your 8 Plus is heavy, you should pick up a iPhone 11 Pro Max....LOL

I can only imagine! They do look big and rather heavy to me. I like my 8 Plus (it is faster which I like), but frankly, if I could have kept the 5s going indefinitely, that is what I would have preferred if my eyesight could keep up with it. I thought it was the absolute perfect size and weight for me---so easy to carry, and I never felt like a fool holding it up to my face as I usually do with the 8 Plus. I try to use the mobile on speaker as much as possible.

I can only imagine! They do look big and rather heavy to me. I like my 8 Plus (it is faster which I like), but frankly, if I could have kept the 5s going indefinitely, that is what I would have preferred if my eyesight could keep up with it. I thought it was the absolute perfect size and weight for me---so easy to carry, and I never felt like a fool holding it up to my face as I usually do with the 8 Plus. I try to use the mobile on speaker as much as possible.

I haven't put a phone up to my ear in quite awhile. I use my AirPods/AirPods Pro and before that I used other Bluetooth headphones. Since I purchased my first "Phablet" (iPhone 6 Plus), I haven't looked back, my eyes wouldn't like that...LOL.

Those types of headphones do not have to be connected to the mobile, correct? I have been seeing a lot of people (especially young people) walking around with those AirPods. They are probably very handy, but aesthetically speaking, I do not care for them at all.

Those types of headphones do not have to be connected to the mobile, correct? I have been seeing a lot of people (especially young people) walking around with those AirPods. They are probably very handy, but aesthetically speaking, I do not care for them at all.

There are several types of Bluetooth headphones on the market that connect to mobile devices, that's what they're designed to do...hands free makes life easy and keeps you from having to put your Smartphone up to your ear as well. I must admit it took awhile for me to get use to the look of my AirPods protruding from my ears (LOL), but now I can't imagine life without them. Oh, by the way, I wouldn't consider myself as "young people" (56 yrs old) nor my circle of friends and we all use them.

I am sure they are very handy. I might try them some day. I have been struggling with earplugs for over a year now---new dog cries early in the mornings. They help only a very little, but they drive me crazy in my ears. I swear I think I have made my ear canals wider from stuffing in the earplugs! Good grief!