What's new

Weak wifi signal after IOS5 update on 3gs

rbuhlig

Reaction score
Weak wifi signal after IOS5 update on 3GS. Any help is appreciates. Thanks in advance.

Sorry about that, but for help you need to give more specifics. Do you define "weak" by the number of wi-fi strength bars showing now vs before the update, at the same location? Is your problem wi-fi speed? Need details...

EWyatt said:
Sorry about that, but for help you need to give more specifics. Do you define "weak" by the number of wi-fi strength bars showing now vs before the update, at the same location? Is your problem wi-fi speed? Need details...
Thanks for responding.
Not only are there fewer bars, but areas of my home that had great signal reception are know so weak that at times the wifi network doesn't even show up in the phone. The phone pops in and out to the the 3G network. All devices are up and running nominally. I have two access points in my home and the problem exist in both areas. in researching the Internet I find I'm not the only one suffering from this problem following the iOS upgrade. Any help is appreciated.

My apologies. I should b post this in the IOS forum.

Did you reset your network settings on your phone? It may not hurt to do a reset on your router either. Also, cordless phones can interfere with your wifi signal. You might try turning off any cordless phones temporarily to see if that helps. I know it was working fine before the update, but you never know what tweaks happen that can make things incompatible afterwards.

Weak wifi signal after IOS5 update on 3GS. Any help is appreciates. Thanks in advance.

Is there any solution to this? I have the exact same problem. I have an unlocked/jailbroken 3gs running 5.01 and I have to be like 5 feet from a router for wifi to work. Most iphone forums on the web seem to report this problem, but I cannot find a solution. I've done all the recommended solutions like resetting the router, forgetting network settings, etc. Am I just SOL? Would an upgrade to 5.1 potentially fix this?

Is there any solution to this? I have the exact same problem. I have an unlocked/jailbroken 3gs running 5.01 and I have to be like 5 feet from a router for wifi to work. Most iphone forums on the web seem to report this problem, but I cannot find a solution. I've done all the recommended solutions like resetting the router, forgetting network settings, etc. Am I just SOL? Would an upgrade to 5.1 potentially fix this?

I had the same problem as you on my iPhone 3GS.

Having tried many ways such as resetting the network and the phone, I had my iPhone 3GS weak wifi range issue FINALLY solved by a phone repair shop for free and I am now able to pick up a dozen wifi signals around the neighbourhood and mostly with full bars (meaning very strong signals).

All the technician took was just one minute of work - unscrew the Iphone and take off the cover, push the antenna cable back into the connector, close back the phone, put back the screw and retest wifi.
It seems that my antenna cable had fallen out of the connector, maybe after the phone was dropped or shaken.

This could be a common cause of many Iphone wifi range issues mentioned here so it is worth while getting a technician to check that your antenna cable is connected properly first.

Just sharing my joy of having my months-long frustration solved within minutes!

Last edited: