What's new

Verizon Customers Deserting Android in Favour of iPhone

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Android_figures.JPG

AppleInsider reports today on a very interesting shift that has occurred at Verizon within the past few months, since the release of the Verizon iPhone 4, according to a report from Chitika Insights looking into US Android providers. At the end of March 2011, in a previous study by Chitika, Verizon was found to be the largest Android carrier, mainly due to Verizon’s switch from RIM Blackberry over to Droid smartphones during 2010. In Chitika’s latest survey, however, which examines the same market five months further down the line, after Verizon launched the iPhone 4, the share of Android users at Verizon has declined considerably, from 51.418% to 41.05%.

“Verizon’s share of iPhone traffic continues to increase, but it seems that Verizon is gaining market share in Apple’s prominent smartphone at the expense of its other, Android running devices,” says Chitika.

The survey also shows that AT&T has 76.1% of the US iPhone market share, while in just five months, Verizon has already acquired 23.9%.

Source: AppleInsider | Verizon's Android share down dramatically following iPhone 4 launch

Thanks to Darkstar2007 for the heads-up

Now maybe sprint and possibly T-mobile (if the merger doesn't approve) will get the iPhone and then we can see how the market plays :D!

I will be interesting to see in the closing months what Sprint will do. There was already a rumor that Sprint will be getting the Iphone in late December so we will see what pan's out from that. I hope for the Sprint customer that they don't follow in the foot steps of Verizon and AT&T and get rid of there unlimited data plan because of the Iphone. Here is the million dollar question, what is the difference between the Iphone and Android that makes these companies change there data plan? Does the Iphone use that much more that they have to change it?

jbs06civicsi said:
I will be interesting to see in the closing months what Sprint will do. There was already a rumor that Sprint will be getting the Iphone in late December so we will see what pan's out from that. I hope for the Sprint customer that they don't follow in the foot steps of Verizon and AT&T and get rid of there unlimited data plan because of the Iphone. Here is the million dollar question, what is the difference between the Iphone and Android that makes these companies change there data plan? Does the Iphone use that much more that they have to change it?

I doubt they'll drop their unlimited data plan. They're using it as a selling point now. They're the only wireless provider (in the USA) that still offers truly unlimited data. Verizon and AT&T's data is tiered, T-mobile throttles their data back after you hit 5GB. So if they stick with what they're doing they should be fine :D! Also there's been plenty of articles indicating android users use just as much (if not more) data than iPhone users. It all depends on the network. IMO these wireless providers are swapping their services for the money (of course). A few years back nobody used that much data. So they sold it unlimited (for better marketing) then all of the sudden these data hungry phones hit the scene with plenty of capabilities the old phones dreamed of having. So what do the wireless carriers do? Capitalize on this and start charging more for their data. It makes sense from a business stand point. AT&T is about to change their SMS plans to pay per text or unlimited for $20 a month. Why? iMessage. A big percentage of AT&T's customer base owns iPhones. iMessage could potentially encourage people to swap to smaller SMS plans. So hence the change in service plans IMHO!!! :)!

I was one of this guys... lol I dropped the Android for the iPhone4

After I got my iPad 2 on release day I just really enjoyed the interface and iOS functionality. Plus I love playing with difference technologies as well.

I'm one of those guys too. Got my Iphone about a month ago after my original Droid went haywire and stopped working. I was waiting for the 5 to come out and get it in December when I was eligible for an upgrade. Luckily, I had an upgrade that I was unaware of and went ahead and got the I-4 to keep my unlimited plan.

I would mess around with my girlfriends Iphone and was always impressed with the smoothness of it when scrolling around. It was just a more polished interface. My Droid was nice when I first got it (my first smartphone) but Google kept doing over-the-air updates rendering my D1 a glitchy mess. It became real sluggish. Often after waking it up it would take up to 10 seconds for the icons to appear. The apps would take a long time to open too (forget about trying to look at the Doppler radar on the Weather Channel app).

I lurked the Android forums reading peoples reviews of the newer Droids and found that they are still somewhat unpolished. So I just got an Iphone and stopped worrying about it.

ETA: I don't consider myself a fanboy of either phone but to me, the Iphone just "works".

Last edited:
The last android device I owned was the moto cliq. Which was stuck at 1.5 at the time. It's almost 2 years since I got it but I gave it to my aunt in Texas. My iPhone runs so flawless definitely when it's compared to what my sister has.