What's new

USB connection not possible, unable to restore iPhone 4

wakker

Reaction score
Hi ya'll!

I have had a problem with my iPhone 4 now for a while. The USB connection have stopped working.
And i don't think its a hardware problem. Here is what I have tried.

Different cables to different computers (only windows 7 PC's) Phone will charge, but windows wont find the phone.
Same problem with DFU mode, no connection. BUT with recovery mode, Windows pops up and says "device not recognized" and this is the same on all three computers I tried this on, so there is a physical connection!
Also, other iphones and ipads are working on these computers

I have also tried to reset the phone from settings/restore but the phone just rolls on with the "hourglass"
Left it for a couple of hours, still the same "hourglass" Restarted it, all the same.
Same thing with software update from the phone, it donwloads the update, then it fails when its about to install.

Also tried iFaith, but no connection at all.

I have not cared about this problem now for a while, cause the WIFI sync in itunes are working.

My suspicions is that JB apps have messed up the USB connection (files?). Have played around with Pawntunes,
which stopped working around iOS 5.01. Also had the semitether before the tethered jailbreak was out.

Any suggestions is highly appreciated!

//Simon

Have you tried the stand alone version of iReb ....? if your currently running the newest version of MobileSubstrates you can start by forcing a reboot then keep holding the up volume button until you hopefully boot into SafeMode...?

I have tried the "volume up" during boot. But i cant see that its entering any "safe mode"
Version of Mobile Substrate is 0.9.3998, also tried to reinstall this one from cydia.
I will give iReb a try!

I have now tried to install the latest version of pwntunes, then uninstall it, reboot. Still the same.

I noticed that i had a few JB icons of applications i know i uninstalled. Such as SBsettings, activator and semitether.
These were not available in my Cydia packages. So i dowloaded them again, then uninstalled them.
After a reboot, windows now finds the phone, but still as an "unknown device"

I tried the safemode by pressing volume up, but its the same problem. Cant really see if its in safemode though..
Also tested with iReb, but it does not recognize the phone when its in DFU. Windows does, but as "unknown device"

Is there any way to reinstall the "USB driver" in the iPhone?