What's new

upgrading my 3gs' IOS

Kamo777

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have jailbroken 3gs with IOS 4.3.3 and I want to upgrade IOS to 5.1 (I'm not sure, but I've read from the web that 5.1 is the optimal version for 3gs). Any suggestions how I should upgrade it (software? website? tutorials?)? Are my apps and data gonna be swept away when I upgrage?

Actually, my reason for upgrading is that I get too many erros in Cydia. E.g. I cannot install "activation menu", thus cannot use Bluetooth app which enables data transfer between other platforms. The other reason is that 4.3.3 doesn't support some apps

Thanks beforehand for reading and replying :)

Last edited:
iOS 5.1 is NOT optimal for Jailbreaking. 5.1 is a Tethered Jailbreak... unlike 5.0.1 & 5.1.1 which is Untethered.

However, the only way to update to any iOS 5.x.x version is if you have SHSH's for that version. Open to Cydia's Homepage and let us know what iOS versions are listed @ the top.

SHSH: iOS 4.1, 4.3.3, 6.0.1, 6.1, 6.1.2

So, does that mean I can only upgrade to these versions? Sorry, I'm too ignorant in tech things, cannot I get SHSH for 5.1.1 ?

Last edited:

So, does that mean I can only upgrade to these versions? Sorry, I'm too ignorant in tech things, cannot I get SHSH for 5.1.1 ?
Yes... those are the only iOS versions you can update to. SHSH's for 5.1.1 are no longer available for your iDevice.

Ok, thanks. Then which of these do you suggest: 6.0.1, 6.1, or 6.1.2? And do I lose the apps and date on the phone when I update?

One more question: When start Cydia, after the (re)loading there're always some errors, and I cannot update most of my apps/tweaks in Cydia because all of them show error message at the end. And is the crashing (even being unable to start) of *** related to this?

Last edited by a moderator:
We do not condone piracy of any kind. If you would like assistance with your device, remove the piracy related items off of your device. Chances are, just removing them will fix the problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Last edited:
Ohh, Ok, understood. I'm at the wrong ship :D