What's new

Unjailbreaking an unlocked phone

Jat3543

Reaction score
I have just traded my blackberry for an I phone 3g which had to be unlocked, the phone has been jail broken but i dont want that as it meansi cant get my bank app, but i was told if i upgrade the software the phone will lock again. So is it possible to unjailbreak without upgrading my software and causing the phone to lock again?

No there is no way to update software without it locking the phone again.
It was jailbroken in order for it to be unlocked.

The only thing i suggest is if that 3g was on a contract that was paid off, then the original owner could call the carrier and have it unlocked by the carrier. If its on an account that is active and still being paid on, then it can't be unlocked by carrier unless account is paid off.

Now if i knew the firmware version i could or not suggest gevey sim card, it only allowsa unlock on certain sims.

Also if you update the software there is No unlock for the latest software revison, but you could preseve the baseband and jailbreak again to unlock, but you don't want that cause you want to use you bank app.

In cydia there is a tweak that allows for you to install apps that tell you your phone can't use because its jailbroken, but i forget its name.

Last edited:
XamDam said:
No there is no way to update software without it locking the phone again.
It was jailbroken in order for it to be unlocked.

The only thing i suggest is if that 3g was on a contract that was paid off, then the original owner could call the carrier and have it unlocked by the carrier. If its on an account that is active and still being paid on, then it can't be unlocked by carrier unless account is paid off.

Now if i knew the firmware version i could or not suggest gevey sim card, it only allowsa unlock on certain sims.

Also if you update the software there is No unlock for the latest software revison, but you could preseve the baseband and jailbreak again to unlock, but you don't want that cause you want to use you bank app.

In cydia there is a tweak that allows for you to install apps that tell you your phone can't use because its jailbroken, but i forget its name.

incorrect, if you preserve bb, the unlock can still take place

incorrect, if you preserve bb, the unlock can still take place

Umm did you actually read my post?

Also the OP does not want to jailbreak they only want to unlock so he can use his bank app, problem is there is no way to do so unless he jailbreaks.

He wants to become unjailbroken, but still be unlocked, no way possible to do so cause as soon as he updates softwate ios it will become locked again with a new basband that is unlockable cause not care to be jailbroken, some apps will not install if your on a jailbroken device.

I did note there is a tweak in Cydia that allows apps that won't install cause of being jailbroken, i forget the name of it.

So if i were him i would look for that tweak and install his bank app as it should work then.
If it does he could then preserve baseband update ios, jailbreak it and then unlock again.

Or

Just use that tweak and leave all alone.

You can install xCon to bypass apps that restrict jailbroken devices. As others have said, there is no way for you to be unlocked without being jailbroken.

Jmills87 said:
You can install xCon to bypass apps that restrict jailbroken devices. As others have said, there is no way for you to be unlocked without being jailbroken.

Thanks so much for the advice I'm going to install xcon