What's new

Time for Backup Excessive

rvjimzhr

Reaction score
I hook up to the same fast wifi source in my local library and my iPad backs up within a minutes or so. My iPhone 4S, if the backup is successful at all, takes 45 minutes or an hour or more. Does anyone know why? Often I just get the message that the backup failed.

It's dependent on the data that you have on your iPhone vs your iPad. iPhones generally have more to backup since you have texts/iMessages, contacts with photos, more cache from different applications, phone records, etc. Try hard resetting your iPhone and/or computer and see if that resolves the issue. If you're backing up to iCloud specifically, check that you have enough space on your account.

Wouldn't the "hard reset' be the one that gets rid of everything on the phone and I have to reload all the apps? That scares me! I deleted the Facebook app and the backup completed in about 5 minutes. That sure tells me something!

Wouldn't the "hard reset' be the one that gets rid of everything on the phone and I have to reload all the apps? That scares me! I deleted the Facebook app and the backup completed in about 5 minutes. That sure tells me something!

No, a hard reset is, basically, a reboot (just like you'd do to a computer). Nothing gets changed, modified or deleted when you reset. To do a reset:

Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Marilyn