What's new

How to backup and recover sms messages on iphone

tsmrg

Reaction score
Hello friends. My iphone 4S is having battrey problems, it switches off at 20%. Just surprised why it does so, my ipad running the same version of iOS is working fine. May be hardware problem...? Now I am thinking of resetting and restore my iPhone with iTunes and I have a backup already on my PC iTunes. But before I go on to erase my phone, I wanted to know the iTunes backup will also restore my SMS messages; I have important messages that I want to keep on my phone, If iTunes cannot do that, how may I backup and restore the SMS messages. Thanks in advance

$image-1633946466.jpg

iPhone 4S iOS 7.1.1

iTunes backups will save your SMS/iMessages among other things. Make sure you manually click the Backup button and not relying on the brief "backup" that you see when syncing your device. Actually clicking the backup button will create a local cache on your computer of certain data of your device. The "backup" you see during the syncing process is the backing up of metadata, which is nowhere near what you're looking for as they only apply to media such as videos/music.

Ok , thank you so much; will do exactly as you adviced.

Check if you have iTunes or iCloud backup of your iPhone first, if you have either of them, then how to recover deleted sms messages from iPhone is a simple task.
iTunes and iCloud will automatically back up your iPhone even if have not done it manually:
iCloud automatically backs up the most important data on your iPhone on a daily basis as long as your device is:
Connected to the Internet over Wi-Fi
Connected to a power source
Screen locked
iTunes can create backups of your iPhone automatically when you sync with iTunes (disabled if you have iCloud backup turned on).