What's new

This is for Skull One

DayoDee

Reaction score
Hey Skull One you see to know a lot and I wanted to get your opinion on the 5s what's your perspective on the new phone and how much do you like it because I currently have the 64GB iPhone 5 and was thinking about the 64GB 5s

Hey Skull One you see to know a lot and I wanted to get your opinion on the 5s what's your perspective on the new phone and how much do you like it because I currently have the 64GB iPhone 5 and was thinking about the 64GB 5s

LOL. Talk about a loaded question. Lets see if I can list off the major selling points for me.

1) A7 64 bit processor.
This one appeals to my totally geek nature. This is the very first true 64 bit device and OS. It is faster than any quad or octa core cell phone on the market. Also the new A7 is about 15 to 25% faster than the A6 in the iPhone 5.

2) Camera (front and back) as well as the camera app.
iOS 7's camera app is a MAJOR upgrade over iOS 6. And on the 5, it works really well. But if you use it on the 5S it can be a night a day difference. 5S allows you to shoot 120 FPS videos. This allows you to select a section of the video and make it slow motion. Have already shot some really good movies with it. 5S has a 10 FPS burst mode. Hold down the volume down button and the camera just keeps shooting. You then can pick your favorite shots out of the set. 5S allows you to take pictures while shooting video. And I have used it. Low light video and pictures are actually nice. And last but not least, the new flash system makes skin tones look more natural.

3) TouchID.
I simply click the home button and leave my thumb on it. 5S unlocks in under a 2/3rds of a second. Never have to use a pin or password again.

4) Better noise cancellation system than the 5.
My wife and I are noticing big difference in the call quality because of this feature. Siri also seems to be less error prone because of it as well.

Bought two 5Ses because of items 1 thru 3. 4 was basically icing on the cake. Now I could mention that they are using a more universal LTE and WiFi radio system and a few other tweaks like that, but they don't affect my every day usage of the device.

They are going to have to really up the game with the iPhone 6 to get me to switch. The 5S is the best iPhone made to date. It lays the ground work for app developers for the next 5 to 10 years. And it exceeds how I felt about both the 4S and 5 by a very large margin.

Ok thanks so the phone is basically a beast

To be blunt. I am curious why the 5S wasn't called the iPhone 6. The 64 bit framework alone justifies it.

The camera alone has been worth it for me (5 vs. 5S). And that's saying a lot, as the 5's camera was great. I'm a phone camera snob, though. Flash shots in low light of my kids look great now, vs. the 5 where their skin would look like it was glowing in the dark. And man, it does so good outdoors in good light...

I also can't wait to see some apps take advantage of the M7 (motion core) processor.

For my usage, battery life seems to have gotten a nice bump between the 5 and 5S as well. And as Skull said, call quality not only seems better, but louder - the 5 always felt a bit on the quiet side to me, vs. other phones (like the S4 or Moto devices) that I had to turn down occasionally.

edit: sorry, I know I'm not Skull One, but I like to troll his threads... !!

Last edited:
LOL. Talk about a loaded question. Lets see if I can list off the major selling points for me.

1) A7 64 bit processor.
This one appeals to my totally geek nature. This is the very first true 64 bit device and OS. It is faster than any quad or octa core cell phone on the market. Also the new A7 is about 15 to 25% faster than the A6 in the iPhone 5.

2) Camera (front and back) as well as the camera app.
iOS 7's camera app is a MAJOR upgrade over iOS 6. And on the 5, it works really well. But if you use it on the 5S it can be a night a day difference. 5S allows you to shoot 120 FPS videos. This allows you to select a section of the video and make it slow motion. Have already shot some really good movies with it. 5S has a 10 FPS burst mode. Hold down the volume down button and the camera just keeps shooting. You then can pick your favorite shots out of the set. 5S allows you to take pictures while shooting video. And I have used it. Low light video and pictures are actually nice. And last but not least, the new flash system makes skin tones look more natural.

3) TouchID.
I simply click the home button and leave my thumb on it. 5S unlocks in under a 2/3rds of a second. Never have to use a pin or password again.

4) Better noise cancellation system than the 5.
My wife and I are noticing big difference in the call quality because of this feature. Siri also seems to be less error prone because of it as well.

Bought two 5Ses because of items 1 thru 3. 4 was basically icing on the cake. Now I could mention that they are using a more universal LTE and WiFi radio system and a few other tweaks like that, but they don't affect my every day usage of the device.

They are going to have to really up the game with the iPhone 6 to get me to switch. The 5S is the best iPhone made to date. It lays the ground work for app developers for the next 5 to 10 years. And it exceeds how I felt about both the 4S and 5 by a very large margin.

Wowsers, I was thinking of waiting until next year, since I just bought the 5 in May, but now I may not wait. Thanks for this informative post!

Wowsers, I was thinking of waiting until next year, since I just bought the 5 in May, but now I may not wait. Thanks for this informative post!

Anytime. As I have stated before, I traded my iPhone 5 in at VZW for $325 and got the 5S for $400. There was no way I was going to pass up that deal.

The phones features and performance sound really really attractive. But how does one reconcile with the ugly icons and the difficult to read text?

The phones features and performance sound really really attractive. But how does one reconcile with the ugly icons and the difficult to read text?

The icons are just going to be ugly. BUT...

The text is actually fixable, to a point. I just switched over to this setting change 2 hours ago to try it out. Actually makes a big difference.

Settings > General > Accessibility.

Turn "Increase Contrast" to On.
Turn "Bold Text" to On.

Tell it ok to reboot. And then see what you think.

We must realize that the move to the "flat" look and feel was driven by necessity. Flat UI elements are easier to maintain and require less file system space.. as well as speeding up data transfers due to the reduced file sizes. All mobile operating systems are moving, or will be moving, to a "flat" look and feel because it's better all around.

I wasn't completely comfortable with the look and feel until I realized that iOS will improve, just as it has been doing since it's initial release.

I see what you mean. I guess it's worth it. But I was so happy with 6.1.2!

So the battery life is way better or it's ok and I am more convinced on how the iPhone 6 is gonna out do this 5s with a A8 chip or what

So the battery life is way better or it's ok and I am more convinced on how the iPhone 6 is gonna out do this 5s with a A8 chip or what

Comparable. I haven't seen better yet.

Anytime. As I have stated before, I traded my iPhone 5 in at VZW for $325 and got the 5S for $400. There was no way I was going to pass up that deal.

is that a deal just for u? if not, im going to verizon right now lol. plus my co workers husband works for verizon cooperate...

is that a deal just for u? if not, im going to verizon right now lol. plus my co workers husband works for verizon cooperate...

I think the trade in deal is for the rest of the month. Google VZW trade-in.