What's new

Sound notification for incoming Hotmail

Bacchus

Reaction score
I have an app for Outlook email (Hotmail) that I use rather than to simply add Hotmail to my mail accounts in 'settings' because I don't care for the way the different mails all show up in one place.

I'd like to set up some sort of sound to notify me of incoming mail in my Outlook/Hotmail. It would make a sound if it were included in my mail accounts but I can't figure out how to arrange it to notify me when mail arrives at the app.

Does anyone know a way to do this? As usual, Microsoft doesn't make it very easy to contact their support people.

You should find the app in Settings - Notifications - Notification Style. Tap it and enable "Allow Notifications", as well as "Sounds". You can't select the sound used for the notifications there, maybe there's a feature allowing a different sound than the default one in the app's settings. To see if that's possible, open the app and take a look at it's settings.

Hope that helps.

Evidently the app will only appear if I've included a Hotmali account along with my other mail accounts. The app, itself, doesn't appear under Notification Style - only a general heading for 'Mail'.

When you open the app for the first time, a popup should appear, asking you if you allow it to send notifications. When you allow it, the app will become visible under Notification Style. This happens before you set up an account in the app.

The general heading for Mail is the built in Mail app, and has nothing to do with the Outlook app.

Okay, maybe if I delete the app and reinstall it the popup you mention will re-appear and I can give that a try. I'll keep ya posted.....

Thanks very kindly, J.A.

Hot DIGGITY!! It does!! Only one minor change but it's okay. My old icon was labeled Hotmail and the new one is labeled Outlook. No big deal. It still works pretty much the same with maybe a few enhancements (which I probably won't use, anyway).

You're a genius, dear lady.... Thanks again.