What's new

Soon-To-Be iPhone Owner ... Questions!

Scher215

Reaction score
I am planning on using my July 23rd upgrade to get the Verizon iPhone 4 (unless of course the 5 has somehow come out by then). I currently have the original Motorola Droid. There are a few things I really like on this phone that I am curious if I can do on iPhone as well?

I am purchasing the iPhone regardless, but was just curious.

1. On my Droid, I can turn off "syncing" i.e. twitter doesn't update, Gmail doesn't update, etc. I use this at night so that I can have my phone on loud in case someone calls or texts me, but so that I don't get woken up everytime I get an e-mail or a facebook notification. Is there a way to toggle e-mail on and off with iPhone as well?
  2. Also, is there a way to easily toggle bluetooth and GPS being on or off? Or is there an option to do this in the menu?
  3. A thing I dislike about the Droid right now, is that I can either have the phone on silent or ring via the volume keys, but I have to manually go into the menu to change the vibrate option (on or off) does iPhone have the volume keys able to toggle vibrate? i.e. Silent - Vibrate Only - Quite - Medium - Loud for the ringer volume.
  4. Currently I am using Opera Mini for my browser, does iPhone offer other browsers you can download as well or is it restricted to only Safari? Is Safari a tabbed browser?
Those are all of the questions I have right now, and I am looking forward to getting my first iPhone in July!

I am planning on using my July 23rd upgrade to get the Verizon iPhone 4 (unless of course the 5 has somehow come out by then). I currently have the original Motorola Droid. There are a few things I really like on this phone that I am curious if I can do on iPhone as well?

1. On my Droid, I can turn off "syncing" i.e. twitter doesn't update, Gmail doesn't update, etc. I use this at night so that I can have my phone on loud in case someone calls or texts me, but so that I don't get woken up everytime I get an e-mail or a facebook notification. Is there a way to toggle e-mail on and off with iPhone as well?
  2. Also, is there a way to easily toggle bluetooth and GPS being on or off? Or is there an option to do this in the menu?
  3. A thing I dislike about the Droid right now, is that I can either have the phone on silent or ring via the volume keys, but I have to manually go into the menu to change the vibrate option (on or off) does iPhone have the volume keys able to toggle vibrate? i.e. Silent - Vibrate Only - Quite - Medium - Loud for the ringer volume.
  4. Currently I am using Opera Mini for my browser, does iPhone offer other browsers you can download as well or is it restricted to only Safari? Is Safari a tabbed browser?
Those are all of the questions I have right now, and I am looking forward to getting my first iPhone in July!

1. yes for each app you can turn off syncing

2. they are all right there in the settings you dont have to dig through a maze of settings, but if you end up jailbreaking there is a much easier way to do it where you swipe your finger across the clock and you get a menu of things you can disable en re enable like airplane mode and 3g and bluetooth.. and GPS

3. no you have to set vibrate on/off in the settings none of them toggle the vibrate.

4. no safari is not tabbed but there is a browser you can download that has everything and you can set it to firefox or chrome mode and tabs and flash and everything you will need but costs like 99 cents

1. yes for each app you can turn off syncing

2. they are all right there in the settings you dont have to dig through a maze of settings, but if you end up jailbreaking there is a much easier way to do it where you swipe your finger across the clock and you get a menu of things you can disable en re enable like airplane mode and 3g and bluetooth.. and GPS

3. no you have to set vibrate on/off in the settings none of them toggle the vibrate.

4. no safari is not tabbed but there is a browser you can download that has everything and you can set it to firefox or chrome mode and tabs and flash and everything you will need but costs like 99 cents

Thank you very much for the help!

What does jailbreaking consist of? Is it harmful to the phone, void the warranty, etc?

Lastly, when buying apps do you have to put in your CC info everytime or can you have a card it automatically charges?

Anytime!

Jailbreaking just changes the disk on the iphone from read only to write enabling you to install anything you want on there... it does void the warranty but you can easily reset the settings and apple wont be able to tell you have done it...

the app store stores your credit card information in your Account settings, you can chose not to have anything in there if you want no credit card as well so every time you go to download something and you type in the password each time, and you can download the same app/game on 5 different apple devices free.

Happy to say that my brother let me use HIS upgrade so I bought the iPhone yesterday, I will be searching through the forum here for all of the helpful information!

Happy to say that my brother let me use HIS upgrade so I bought the iPhone yesterday, I will be searching through the forum here for all of the helpful information!

Congrat for your new purchase. What's the impression after all the waiting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scher215 said:
[*]On my Droid, I can turn off "syncing" i.e. twitter doesn't update, Gmail doesn't update, etc. I use this at night so that I can have my phone on loud in case someone calls or texts me, but so that I don't get woken up everytime I get an e-mail or a facebook notification. Is there a way to toggle e-mail on and off with iPhone as well?

[*]A thing I dislike about the Droid right now, is that I can either have the phone on silent or ring via the volume keys, but I have to manually go into the menu to change the vibrate option (on or off) does iPhone have the volume keys able to toggle vibrate? i.e. Silent - Vibrate Only - Quite - Medium - Loud for the ringer volume.

Mail is the only app that has it's sound options located under Settings>Sounds

Also, that's where you'll find the option for "silent" mode. I haven't played with this yet, but I think you can set your button to either silent or vibrate.

Congrat for your new purchase. What's the impression after all the waiting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far so good! There are a few things that I miss from my Droid, but the performance is unreal, everything is so fast and very clean looking and easy to use.

I miss the Widgets to some extent. The main one just being the power control one where I would toggle Sync, Wi-Fi, Blue Tooth, etc. just by tapping my home screen. I believe jailbreak could allow this on iPhone?

I miss Google Maps as I am terrible with directions and it was free, I may look into other options though there.

I also really liked my to-do list app and my solitaire game that I had on Droid and have't found anything comparable to replace them with on iPhone.

The only other thing that will take some adjusting is not having a "Menu" button for every screen, and a "back" button.

Other than those, what I would call minor issues, I absolutley love it and am still debating if I will try to jailbreak.

Yes like u've said, jailbreaking it will give you much more options, as for the todo note, you can find msny of those apps in the apps store or if you need a good one, lookup for awesome note.

My last question that I just thought of,

With Droid, I could pay for an app, use it for 24 hours and if I didn't like it "return" it.

Is this the case for iPhone? Or once you buy are you stuck with it?

I believe apple does give you a refund if you are not satisfied with the App.

My last question that I just thought of,

With Droid, I could pay for an app, use it for 24 hours and if I didn't like it "return" it.

Is this the case for iPhone? Or once you buy are you stuck with it?

Apple refund if you do not like the app, but then you will need to give resons or more than that before get a refund. They are not easy like droid. Sometimes apple will not even refund if they found that the reasons you are giving to them do not stand a refund. It happens to me a couple of time, now before i buy any app i make sure that i read all the comments about that app, or first download a free version of the app and if i really like it then i will go for the pay version.
So don't think that you will download 10 paid apps, use them for a day or 2 and tell apple that you don't like it, you will waist time for a long time.

Sorry to bump this old post but what is the name of that browser you can download? Flash is the one thing I truly missed on Android, and would LOVE to have it back!

Sorry to bump this old post but what is the name of that browser you can download? Flash is the one thing I truly missed on Android, and would LOVE to have it back!

You can download skyfire, or atomic browser.