What's new

So you can't jailbreak The latest IOS?

You can update a jailbroken phone but it is not recommended, that is just asking for issues. It is always recommended to do a fresh restore and jailbreak before restoring any backups.

However, you cannot update OTA whatsoever on a jailbroken phone, it will not work.

h2olover1 said:
Well thats what a kind member on here told me. You cannot update a jb phone thru software update in settings. It will cause a bootloop and force a restore

Well, as I said. That is incorrect.

Edit: I did not read the above fully and I am wrong in stating this, you are correct OTA update will not work. Only iTunes update will.

Last edited:
You can update a jailbroken phone but it is not recommended, that is just asking for issues. It is always recommended to do a fresh restore and jailbreak before restoring any backups.

However, you cannot update OTA whatsoever on a jailbroken phone, it will not work.

This is correct way of doing it for a jailbroken phone.

Took the words right out of my mouth :)

Also to note: Yes once you update jailbroken phone you will need to start all over again from cydia, any purchases apps from cydia you can redownload again for free as u paid for them already.

So always make a note of what you install there is also apps that will put what you installed into a text file.

Also there is pkgbackup that will backup all your cydia apps you have installed, so you can load them up again a lot faster.

IMHO backing up and restoring Cydia apps and tweaks is much more trouble as it seems like those are always lagging quite a bit in compatibility with the latest IOS.

Backup and restore of Cydia tweaks is only meant as a shortcut if you had to restore and jailbreak to the same os not an update.

Last edited:

Thanks JMills for backin me up 😃

h2olover1 said:
Well thats what a kind member on here told me. You cannot update a jb phone thru software update in settings. It will cause a bootloop and force a restore

Okay no one is 100%, i think that member was wrong ^^

Did you know that before apple released the double-tap-copy/paste menu (which is known as action menu now) the jailbreak released it as a tweak, and then apple copied that from jailbreak?. what shame on you apple!!

That member wasn't wrong. You can't update a jailbroken iPhone through means of OTA.
It will cause a boot loop.

Jailbreakers will need to restore through iTunes if they wish to drop their jailbreak and upgrade to a newer firmware.

darkstar2007 said:
That member wasn't wrong. You can't update a jailbroken iPhone through means of OTA.
It will cause a boot loop.

Jailbreakers will need to restore through iTunes if they wish to drop their jailbreak and upgrade to a newer firmware.

But when i was 5.0.1, i have updated safely to 5.1.1, im sure my iPod was jailbroken!

darkstar2007 said:
He means the OTA updates through the settings menu. Which means he's correct.

Well, since I am not a mind reader I have no idea what he means, only what he said the first time. And the way iTunes currently works to update by wiping everything and writing the full os is perfectly fine.

The second time when he said through settings, I was incorrect. I just did not read that and thought we were discussing the same thing - updating through iTunes.
I know OTA update does not work on jb devices. Because it does not update every os file. However no one was arguing about OTA initially.

Last edited:
But... guys when i was 5.0.1 jailbroken i have updated to 5.1.1 through the settings!, SAFELY AND NOTHING WRONG HAPPENED!, only that the jailbreak has been removed... CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN ME HOW I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DO IT SAFELY WHILST ITS DANGEROUS??????( im screwed up now )'.'(

Dark Dragon said:
But... guys when i was 5.0.1 jailbroken i have updated to 5.1.1 through the settings!, SAFELY AND NOTHING WRONG HAPPENED!, only that the jailbreak has been removed... CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN ME HOW I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DO IT SAFELY WHILST ITS DANGEROUS??????( im screwed up now )'.'(

There is no way to have done it. It would have failed. When you initiated OTA update you were probably Unjailbreaked through iTunes already and just did not realize it if you were updating a bunch of things at the time.

zphone said:
There is no way to have done it. It would have failed. When you initiated OTA update you were probably Unjailbreaked through iTunes already and just did not realize it if you were updating a bunch of things at the time.

I Dont have iTunes...Ever, even when i just bought my iPod touch i gave it to my aunt so that she can set it up, and im sure i was jailbroken because my pc OS is linux, and so every jailbreak for my device, will, i didnt jailbreak my device even once by myself because jailbreaking services arent available on linux, so i give it to our neighbor's, or to anyone, and then i dont unjailbreak EVER, and im 100% SURE that my device was jailbroken,5.0.1, upgrade was to 5.1.1, it didnt fail, it succed, no problems ever, but that the jailbreak (of course) has been removed, i was frustrated as there was no jailbreak for 5.1.1. So im VERY sure that it was jailbroken, and it succed through settings, as i dont Have iTunes.

Dark Dragon said:
I Dont have iTunes...Ever, even when i just bought my iPod touch i gave it to my aunt so that she can set it up, and im sure i was jailbroken because my pc OS is linux, and so every jailbreak for my device, will, i didnt jailbreak my device even once by myself because jailbreaking services arent available on linux, so i give it to our neighbor's, or to anyone, and then i dont unjailbreak EVER, and im 100% SURE that my device was jailbroken,5.0.1, upgrade was to 5.1.1, it didnt fail, it succed, no problems ever, but that the jailbreak (of course) has been removed, i was frustrated as there was no jailbreak for 5.1.1. So im VERY sure that it was jailbroken, and it succed through settings, as i dont Have iTunes.

There is a jailbreak for Linux. It's Absinthe from greenpois0n.com.

How exactly would not be 100% sure it's jailbroken or not?

If you jailbroken...you have Cydia installed...if you are not jailbroken..then Cydia will not be installed.

I really don't see how you would not be 100% certain whether it was jailbroken or not.