What's new

Selling my 4S , but I have a question

K31th

Reaction score
I've just upgraded to an iPhone 5s and am now going to sell my 4S.
Do I need to remove the SIM card when I sell the phone or does it have to stay in the phone ?
I have reset the phone but I wondered if there is any information left stored on the SIM card ?

I would remove the SIM card. The new owner doesn't need it unless you are paying for their service. There may be some data on the card. If the card is not going to be used and/ or the associated service has been cancelled, I would destroy the card.

Sent from my iPhone 4S or iPad 3rd gen, whichever I happen to have in my hands at the time, using iPF.net

Last edited:
SIM cards generally don't store anything except for your credentials for your carrier. But as already mentioned above, if the SIM is no longer in use, you can chuck it, but in a more paranoid sense, stick it through a credit card shredder or cut it into 8ths manually.

Don't forget to reset the 4S. Otherwise, you will give the buyer access to all of the data on the 4S

It is better to remove the SIM card when you selling it, just in case there are certain personal data left in the card, like contacts. Also make sure to delete installed thrid-party apps which stores the email and password.

It is better to remove the SIM card when you selling it, just in case there are certain personal data left in the card, like contacts. Also make sure to delete installed thrid-party apps which stores the email and password.
go to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings. This will erase the iPhone and restore it to factory settings. Nothing you added will remain.

Also remove your device from icloud or else the person that buys it will be screwed like all the other iphones out there linked to an apple id!!!They are useless.