What's new

RIM Called the First iPhone “Badly Flawed” Before it Was Launched

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
RIM.JPG

There’s no doubt that hindsight is 20/20 vision, and who hasn’t at one time or another said something that’s come back to haunt them, but that doesn’t stop this story on Business Insider being pretty hilarious! According to the report, an anonymous former employee at Research In Motion (RIM), the company that makes the BlackBerry, has spilled the beans about what RIM thought about the brand new iPhone prior to its launch by Apple back in 2007. Apparently, RIM thought that the iPhone was “badly flawed” and that users were looking for “great battery life, great security, great mail handling, minimal network use, and a great keyboard experience.” Even better is the revelation that way back in 2005 RIM executives were trying to persuade RIM founder Mike Lazaridis into developing a web-enabled smartphone with a larger screen, but Lazaridis wasn’t to be swayed, insisting that the company focused on what he considered to be BlackBerry’s main strengths: a good keyboard and great email. Ah well, we can all be geniuses after the event, and RIM aren’t doing too bad themselves at present anyway!

Sources: Business Insider Research in Motion: Executives Thought The iPhone Was "Badly Flawed," And Assumed It Would Bomb

I had the original iPhone. it WAS very flawed. I hated it.

The first iPhone was horrible. Constantly dropped calls, data hardly worked. It was just a mess. I gave it up as soon as I could and just recently returned to the iPhone with the iPhone 4.

Never had the original iphone. The 3G was an excellent phone in it's day and is still a great phone today...

I have until recently been a hater of the iPhones, probably due to the smugness of apple and how patronising they are. All the models until the 4 were at least 2 stages behind the competition technology wise.... Ie Bluetooth issues, camera, mms ability etc. Yet when apple launched a new model with the new feature on they make a big song and dance about it.... Even though they were the last to use that feature!

Even the 4 to an extent, big song and dance about front facing camera for video calls, Jesus, I was using a mobile for video calls in 2003!

Anyhow, they certainly have got it together for the 4 and is comparable to most the competition now, not lagging behind as they used too.

S.

i said the same thing about the 8530 and the Torch. It looks like apple is still in the game though. hahahahahaha