What's new

Preferred GPS for Verizon iPhone 4S

akacam

Reaction score
Hello,

Would any one like to recommend a GPS app they're using?
List pros and cons. Anything not functioning as it should. Anything driving you nuts? Would you buy it again?

I am wondering the same, which one is good?
I tried using the one downloaded already called maps this last weekend but didn't do very good, used to my android phone with navigation on it:)

I've been using TomTom on my iPhone for 3 years now, I've also used Roadmate, Dynavix and Garmin but TomTom trumps them all. Use it every single day and have no complaints whatsoever

You might be interested in reading this article:
Apps with Maps: 11 iPhone GPS apps compared
One year later, the iOS GPS apps market is much improved
by Glenn Fleishman, Macworld.com * Jan 14, 2011 8:00 am

www.macworld.com/article/156720/2011/01/gps.html

I just downloaded Mapquest 4 Mobile

Last edited:
I like Mapquest 4 Mobile too, it gives good turn by turn directions (like by old Android), I just wish I could have Siri use that mapping program instead of the built in one.

You might be interested in reading this article:
Apps with Maps: 11 iPhone GPS apps compared
One year later, the iOS GPS apps market is much improved
by Glenn Fleishman, Macworld.com * Jan 14, 2011 8:00 am

www.macworld.com/article/156720/2011/01/gps.html

I just downloaded Mapquest 4 Mobile

That article is from January.

Waze seems to be the friendliest with info

Yes, but here is the thing about Waze, as I understand it. As you travel your system is constantly, or perhaps intermittently, transferring map data to Waze—of every single road you travel. Thus they are using your "air time," at your expense, to gather map data. If you don't know, map data is sold in bundles costing millions of dollars per bundle. So essentially you are providing it, building their business data bank, for free. What a terrific deal that is for them. I'm not so sure how well we're doing while we're paying the air time costs. We're paying both ways: to receive the route information we need and also for ALL the road data they're accumulating from our driving.

Now you might think that's an equal trade, but I'm thinking they are gaining a lot more than we are. They're data gathering takes a lot more air time to transfer than the intermittent data coming our why. Plus we are expected to send in live road condition info. Again, that's at our expense.

Beyond everything else the cost savings of millions of dollars for the map bundles they don't have to buy is a sweet deal for them! I'm thinking they should have found a way where the benefits were more equal, like they pay for our air time.

Last edited: