What's new

please help!

krenner

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and to Iphones in general. I was going to buy my daughter a used verizon Iphone 4. My question is, i will need to activate it without using a computer. in other words, i will not be able to use Itunes to set up the phone. is the set up possible over a wifi network? Someone told me only if the phone is upgraded to Ios6, and i don't think it will be. I am just trying to figure this out before I buy the phone.

OK, I can''t help much but first if you want to post in a forum please have a better title then Please Help.

I don't know if you can activate that iPhone without iTunes but I can tell you that my wife has taken my original iPad, activated it, goes to the App Store and has never used iTunes for anything.

But that is an iPad that is not hooked up to a carrier. I know the phone information is in the SIM card and I don't believe you need to use the iPad to get the phone working.

It's not much help but maybe someone else can elaborate on what I started talking about. Good Luck. And please make better titles in the future.

If the iPhone has iOS 5 or greater, it does not need to be connected to iTunes to be activated or setup.

Thanks!I will make sure the phone has ios5 or above!

Hope you get the help,and by the way,your title is just fine.

I'm new to the forum and to Iphones in general. I was going to buy my daughter a used verizon Iphone 4. My question is, i will need to activate it without using a computer. in other words, i will not be able to use Itunes to set up the phone. is the set up possible over a wifi network? Someone told me only if the phone is upgraded to Ios6, and i don't think it will be. I am just trying to figure this out before I buy the phone.
Hmmmm, I thought you could just take the phone to the carrier's store (e.g., Verizon) and they would "activate" it for you -- for voice, data. Perhaps I misunderstood the question.

You can for the cellular service if you want. But you can also now do it thru the VZW website and then properly setup the iPhone without connecting it to iTunes.