What's new

Physically remove any data storage before fixing the phone

Sbiriguda

Reaction score
I have been asked (by my former boss...) to open an Iphone 6S and to remove any part where data could be stored. The warranty has expired, the phone fell down and it broke. So he wants to try to repair it but since it was used for work he doesn't want that any sensitive data (emails and so) could be lost or copied
What do you think I should do? Which parts am I supposed to remove, is it a complicated thing?
If I remove all the parts where sensitive data could be stored is it possible for someone to repair the phone or they need it to have a list a hard disk with Ios installed on it?
Thanks for any suggestion

I have been asked (by my former boss...) to open an Iphone 6S and to remove any part where data could be stored. The warranty has expired, the phone fell down and it broke. So he wants to try to repair it but since it was used for work he doesn't want that any sensitive data (emails and so) could be lost or copied
What do you think I should do? Which parts am I supposed to remove, is it a complicated thing?
If I remove all the parts where sensitive data could be stored is it possible for someone to repair the phone or they need it to have a list a hard disk with Ios installed on it?
Thanks for any suggestion
The RAM is soldered directly to the logic board and removing it would destroy the iPhone beyond repair ability. Your former boss wouldn’t be able to repair that iPhone. BTW, restoring the iPhone through iTunes would erase any data on it to the degree that it couldn’t be recovered.

If I understand correctly, with RAM you mean Random Access Memory, but RAM is temporary. Emails should be stored on a hard drive (like an SSD card), perhaps on the same partition of the IOS operating system. Anyway, let us put it in a different way, is there a safe way to bring an Iphone to repair without the risk of sensitive data being stolen, provided it doesn't switch on properly right now?

I meant SSD when I said RAM. If you erase the iPhone and restore it to factory settings, any data that was on that iPhone will be gone and can’t be recovered.

If the phone cannot be turned on by the buttons, or plugging it in to a charger or a computer with iTunes running then your only option to be absolutely sure to safeguard the data is to destroy the phone by shredding it and placing what’s left in an extremely corrosive acid. I need an emoji for tongue in cheek.

I can remember backing up an iPhone 5 before replacing a non original battery in it. After which it did not turn on, via iTunes it was totally dead.
After stripping it down the fault with the battery was seen.
My only solution was to completely destroy the iPhone, used a hammer [emoji375] then put it in a vice and crushed it to bits.

If I understand correctly, with RAM you mean Random Access Memory, but RAM is temporary. Emails should be stored on a hard drive (like an SSD card), perhaps on the same partition of the IOS operating system. Anyway, let us put it in a different way, is there a safe way to bring an Iphone to repair without the risk of sensitive data being stolen, provided it doesn't switch on properly right now?

He was talking about non- volatile random access memory. Random access describes how the data is 'approached' - on a hdd you have a semi-sequential access, while on a solid state device you access by direct selection of the address space, meaning any space after the previous immediately (to our senses anyway) hence the 'random access' moniker.