What's new

On/off button not workimg iphone 4

etobeclear

Reaction score
My iPhone 4 off/on button is not working.
I don't want to take it to an Apple store where I get no loaner phone and where it can take weeks to get it back.

I don't want to jailbreak it if this would mean I could no do software updates in
iTunes anymore. And I don't have the kinds of tools to take off the back of the phone.

My service is with AT&T. I might take it in to them to see if they will at least remove
The back cover so I can get to the off/on button to see if something got clogged around it or if it needs to be replaced, does anyone know how to get the parts?

Any other suggestions?

etobeclear said:
My iPhone 4 off/on button is not working.
I don't want to take it to an Apple store where I get no loaner phone and where it can take weeks to get it back.

I don't want to jailbreak it if this would mean I could no do software updates in
iTunes anymore. And I don't have the kinds of tools to take off the back of the phone.

My service is with AT&T. I might take it in to them to see if they will at least remove
The back cover so I can get to the off/on button to see if something got clogged around it or if it needs to be replaced, does anyone know how to get the parts?

Any other suggestions?

Ive been hearing stories about apple replacing iPhones on spot. If youre still within warranty I'd take it to them bc if you Take off the back you're voiding your warranty...but if you really want to do it ifixit.com is a great guide on how to remove the back

Thank you. I will see if it is still under warranty

Very true, i have seen 3 people have them replaced on the spot

My home button wasn't working and apple replaced my while iPhone with a new one/refurbished on the spot. Took less than 15 mins but make sure you call to make an appointment first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My iPhone 4 is out of warranty as of Aug 13!
I am eligible for a new iPhone 4 for $199.00 for
16 GB. This is what I have. Somewhere on this blog
yesterday there was an ad for a company in
Houston where I live that says they can replace
my on/off switch ( they also repair damaged screens) while
You wait. I could not find this add today.

Should I get the new phone ( what is iPhone 5
going to cost?) or at least compare an outside repair
company price with a new iPhone 4 for $199.00?

etobeclear said:
My iPhone 4 is out of warranty as of Aug 13!
I am eligible for a new iPhone 4 for $199.00 for
16 GB. This is what I have. Somewhere on this blog
yesterday there was an ad for a company in
Houston where I live that says they can replace
my on/off switch ( they also repair damaged screens) while
You wait. I could not find this add today.

Should I get the new phone ( what is iPhone 5
going to cost?) or at least compare an outside repair
company price with a new iPhone 4 for $199.00?

You usually wont find ads here as we don't allow them but have you heard of dr cell phone it's in Houston. Ifixit.com has great guides for DIY repairs.

My iPhone was out of warranty by 3 days.
The Apple Store in the Galleria in Houston, Tx
Replaced my iPhone 4 on the spot!!! No charge.

So thanks everyone for the tip!

Took my iPhone 4 with the broken on/off button to the Apple
Store and they replaced it no charge. And I was 3 days out of warranty!

Pfl212 said:
My home button wasn't working and apple replaced my while iPhone with a new one/refurbished on the spot. Took less than 15 mins but make sure you call to make an appointment first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My iPhone4 also home button sometimes not working... After 2 3 click its work. Sometime working fine... Amazing problem. Is it soft problem? Or hardware..! I don't understand. Need to be fix anyway. But how...

musk_gd said:
My iPhone4 also home button sometimes not working... After 2 3 click its work. Sometime working fine... Amazing problem. Is it soft problem? Or hardware..! I don't understand. Need to be fix anyway. But how...

The jailbreak tweak activator created this issue for me awhile back. A quick removal solved the issue. So I wouldn't blame it on the hardware but it could still be the problem.