What's new

Official IOS 7 thread.

in iOS6, spotlight search included Wikipedia but iOS7 only brings up search iPhone. I like to use Wikipedia but without having to open Safari and start a new page.
Does anyone know how to do a quick (spotlight) search using Wikipedia?

in iOS6, spotlight search included Wikipedia but iOS7 only brings up search iPhone. I like to use Wikipedia but without having to open Safari and start a new page. Does anyone know how to do a quick (spotlight) search using Wikipedia?
I'm afraid that in iOS 7 the spotlight search feature can only search content on your device. The capability of searching Wikipedia or elsewhere is no longer possible.

I'm afraid that in iOS 7 the spotlight search feature can only search content on your device. The capability of searching Wikipedia or elsewhere is no longer possible.

well, that stinks, but thanks for your response.

Skull one.... My iphone is 27 months old. They did diagnostics on battery and they said it is fine !? So will assume meaning a full charge can you enlighten me how they can determine that??

I basically wanted to know the logic of putting 2 settings one for bold type the other for bigger
text under the accessibility tab,
when they already have a tab where you can increase font size that is where I would have put the other 2 features it makes more sense to me.

Onto bigger fish I took iphone to apple and they did a reload of iOS 7 at the store eliminating all
But icloud mail pics gone that was fine as once I re synced with computer all would be back
no biggie..

But apps now lagging more than prior! keyboard is a joke to use and my contacts app no where to be found!! So am guessing another bad load of ios7?
Mail is there but my pop account has no sent folders for it yet on computer I have 8 sent emails!
I have made a new appointment with apple this morning if I am lucky and they still can reload iOS 6 and iOS 7 can stay far far away.

I do appreciate your reply and wanting to help me I do thank you for response.
I have no intention of allowing Mr Ives iOS 7 anywhere near my IPad once burned twice shy.

Last edited:
Skull one.... My iphone is 27 months old. They did diagnostics on battery and they said it is fine !? So will assume meaning a full charge can you enlighten me how they can determine that??

I basically wanted to know the logic of putting 2 settings one for bold type the other for bigger
text under the accessibility tab,
when they already have a tab where you can increase font size that is where I would have put the other 2 features it makes more sense to me.

Onto bigger fish I took iphone to apple and they did a reload of iOS 7 at the store eliminating all
But icloud mail pics gone that was fine as once I re synced with computer all would be back
no biggie..

But apps now lagging more than prior! keyboard is a joke to use and my contacts app no where to be found!! So am guessing another bad load of ios7?
Mail is there but my pop account has no sent folders for it yet on computer I have 8 sent emails!
I have made a new appointment with apple this morning if I am lucky and they still can reload iOS 6 and iOS 7 can stay far far away.

I do appreciate your reply and wanting to help me I do thank you for response.
I have no intention of allowing Mr Ives iOS 7 anywhere near my IPad once burned twice shy.

There is no way to tell a batteries health without a full differential diagnostic between the day you bought it versus today's use. Basically your iPhone has roughly 400 (iPhone 4/4S) to 500 (iPhone 5/5S/5C) 100% charges available for the battery to maintain 80% of its original capacity.

So that means if you have recharged your iPhone every day from 40% to 100%, that means you have the following equation.

100% - 40% = 60% * 27 months * 30 days = 486,000% charging used.
400 full cycle charges * 100% = 400,000%

486,000 - 400,000 = 86,000% / 100% = 86 full charges beyond the factory recommend 80% capacity.

And if you ever went below 40% each day, that means your number of full charges will increase and put you even further over the theoretical limit. Apple simply tests if the battery can hold a nominal voltage and/or amperage level. Which doesn't indicate the batteries longevity/storage capacity.

And no one at an Apple store can put you back on iOS 6. Not even a remote possibility.

Skull one.... Back from apple store ahhhhh now things get interesting for this old f...
Seems as when I originally loaded iOS 7 online using my iMac it merges old with new so I still had my contacts app on my screen and stop watch timer were still in with the calculator etc.

Now enter apple new restore iOS 7 the apple store version is the real version and no iOS 6 merged with it now the extra app icon has my contacts within it.
And timer stop watch is in with the clock app. My keyboard still hangs big time while typing.

I will reluctantly live with it but not happy I feel apple stole a perfectly we'll working phone and rendered it very user unfriendly. To anyone who has not update to iOS 7 do not do it especially on iphone 4 as the entire appe Genius Bar was all same as I having same exact issues between this and maps speaks for itself whom is missing.

As to battery I did as instructed from new let battery go dead 2 times each month then recharge at 25-50-75% and turn phone off twice a week overnight.

So is this correct if not can you tell me correct way ?? Thanks again for your help trying to educate me.

Last edited:
Skull one.... Back from apple store ahhhhh now things get interesting for this old f...
Seems as when I originally loaded iOS 7 online using my iMac it merges old with new so I still had my contacts app on my screen and stop watch timer were still in with the calculator etc.

Now enter apple new restore iOS 7 and no iOS 6 now the extra app icon has contacts within it.
And timer stop watch is in with the clock app. My keyboard still hangs big time while typing.

I will reluctantly live with it but not happy I feel apple stole a perfectly we'll working phone and rendered it very user unfriendly. To anyone who has not update to iOS 7 do not do it especially on iphone 4 as the entire appe Genius Bar was all same as I having same exact issues between this and maps speaks for itself whom is missing.

As to battery I did as instructed from new let battery go dead 2 times each month then recharge at 25-50-75% and turn phone off twice a week overnight.

So is this correct if not can you tell me correct way ?? Thanks again for your help trying to educate me.

The rules for Lithium-Ion battery care are pretty simple these days.

1) Don't charge while the battery is below 35F or above 130F.
2) Try not to deep cycle (full depletion and full recharge) more than once a month.
3) Deep cycle the battery once every 60 to 90 days to help maintain the iOS/Android calibration data.

Rule #1 is all about the chemical reaction. At 32F you can't overcome the resistance in the gel to charge. At 130F you can start plating the anode or cathode early.

Rule #2 is all about extending the life. Remember if the battery is only rated for 400 full cycles, deep cycling it each days means you are only going to get about 13.5 months out if.

Rule #3 has nothing to do with the battery. iOS/Android maintain a chart on how the battery discharges. By deep cycling it, the operating systems can update the chart with more accurate data.

And really sorry to hear you are having so many issues with iOS 7. While I am personally not a fan of the look. The function of it is outstanding. Of course I am fortunate enough that I am using iOS 7 on an iPhone 5S.

Skull One Thank You on the battery information am going to print off until I get myself retrained! I am glad for you that iPhone 5S and iOS 7 working well.

I was using my old iPhone 4 as a test base to upgrade to the 5S and so am sure all can appreciate my reluctance to do so. for me I will wait to see how this shakes out in later months also see what iPhone 6 is.
I waited so long for verizon to get the iPhone 4 and was like a little kid when I finally was able to buy one was so easy to use and understand. I am not lost in iOS 7 more wish there was a site on apple letting us know where all the features have either been moved to and integrated with what screen app that is the new iOS 7 it would help me a lot.

my next question concerns email and apple ID account. I setup a pop email strictly for my apple ID and to receive emails on purchases and so on worked well under iOS 6 but.
now when I had to enter that same email as a separate account as it was under ios 6 it won't allow pop mail to use it will only function as a imap mail account is this due to being used as the apple id account as well? in which case if in fact an apple mail account only then I can actually remove it as a pop account from my isp provider this really gets confusing to me.

Last edited:
Skull One Thank You on the battery information am going to print off until I get myself retrained! I am glad for you that iPhone 5S and iOS 7 working well.

I was using my old iPhone 4 as a test base to upgrade to the 5S and so am sure all can appreciate my reluctance to do so. for me I will wait to see how this shakes out in later months also see what iPhone 6 is.
I waited so long for verizon to get the iPhone 4 and was like a little kid when I finally was able to buy one was so easy to use and understand. I am not lost in iOS 7 more wish there was a site on apple letting us know where all the features have either been moved to and integrated with what screen app that is the new iOS 7 it would help me a lot.

my next question concerns email and apple ID account. I setup a pop email strictly for my apple ID and to receive emails on purchases and so on worked well under iOS 6 but.
now when I had to enter that same email as a separate account as it was under ios 6 it won't allow pop mail to use it will only function as a imap mail account is this due to being used as the apple id account as well? in which case if in fact an apple mail account only then I can actually remove it as a pop account from my isp provider this really gets confusing to me.

POP3 versus IMAP is about what the email provider supports. POP3, thankfully, is a dying standard. So if you provider upgraded to IMAP, you can now have push mail instead of the POP3 fetch system. Which will save you battery in the long run.

And your Apple ID really has nothing to do with what type of email account you are attached to. It is simply a login ID and nothing more.

I am really liking iOS 7! It was a pain to download because of Apple servers being overloaded but it went thru after a couple of try's. The only thing that is getting on my nerves is iMessage constantly not working.... I have tried all the tricks sometimes they work sometimes they don't. It works when it wants to I guess. So I hope they don't release the jailbreak until Apple fixes the iMessage problem. iOS 7 is a little in stable in my opinion. My phone will exit me out of email and such apps and I will have to reopen them. I won't be to hard on apple though because I know they have to work the bugs out since it it a totally revamped iOS. If anyone wanted to know I have the iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.2

orientation (horizontal/vertical - landscape/portrait) not working. Suddenly my iPhone 5 no longer changes from portrait to landscape display when I change the orientation of my phone from vertical to horizontal. Could this be an iOS7-related problem? I would normally assume a hardware problem and it may be one, but it started at exactly the time I upgraded to iOS7. That fact and the fact that I've been so many other iOS7-related problems leads my to consider the possibility that it's a software problem.

orientation (horizontal/vertical - landscape/portrait) not working. Suddenly my iPhone 5 no longer changes from portrait to landscape display when I change the orientation of my phone from vertical to horizontal. Could this be an iOS7-related problem? I would normally assume a hardware problem and it may be one, but it started at exactly the time I upgraded to iOS7. That fact and the fact that I've been so many other iOS7-related problems leads my to consider the possibility that it's a software problem.

Yes it's iOS 7 problem it should be fixed in the next update hope that helps. The only thing I know that works to fix it is hard rest device by holding home and power button till it turns off and you see apple logo again

Swipe up from the very bottom of the screen to bring up the new Control Panel. Look at the top row of icons, there will be 5. Far right looks like a lock with an arrow around it. If it is lit, turn it off. That locks your screen from switching orientation.

Yes it's iOS 7 problem it should be fixed in the next update hope that helps. The only thing I know that works to fix it is hard rest device by holding home and power button till it turns off and you see apple logo again

Actually it is a setting. Read my response on how to resolve.