What's new

No text alert tone in bluetooth, poor sound quality

TexasEx

Reaction score
Ok First Post!!
My big problem is most of the time I don't get text alert tones when I'm wearing my Bluetooth, sometimes I'll get the very tail end of it, and sometimes the whole thing. It seems to be related to how long the phone has been idle. I've played around with it and noticed that there are times that when I slide the unlock bar I also get no click and sometimes when I'm typing the first couple of keyboard clicks are inaudible. There seems to be a time lag sometimes. I've tried two different BT devices and this problem occurs on both of them. I have also tried both of them on a friend's Droid and there is no problem there.

Secondly, The transmitted voice quality through the Bluetooth is very poor almost inaudible. Again, trying it on the Droid no problem.

This is an iPhone 4
OS 5.1.1
Bluetooth device Blueant Q2

Any Help is appreciated!!

Bluetooth devices are often made to go into a low power state after a certain amount of idle time to save battery. When they start receiving something again, such as a text tone, it takes them a moment to wake up. Text tones are usually so short that by the time they wake up and start playing the tone it's over, or mostly over. I have the same issue with my Bluetooth car speaker, with text tones or when I'm using my GPS app. I'll get just the last part of the text tone or the lovely lady's voice telling me to prepare for a turn.

That is a very interesting issue. I have a Jawbone, Jabra and Sony PS3 BT head sets at home. Will run tests against all three as soon as I can.

Thanks Dave,
I'll try a longer text tone. I guess it has to be as long as the D--R--O--I--D's wail. Thought for sure the issue was the phone since it worked so well on my friends phone

Thanks Let me know. As Dave said the issue may be with the headset not the phone. It just worked so well on my friend's Droid

Hmmm...now you've got me thinking. I suppose it's possible that the Bluetooth in the phone could be at fault. At first examination I assumed that it was my Jabra speakerphone. If the phone's Bluetooth was going into a similar kind of power saving mode it might do the same thing. Of course it could be a combination of the phone and the headset, too.