What's new

New iPhone user - "apple" keyboard very limiting?

mjonis

Reaction score
Me again. Coming from Android with the Samsung Galaxy S4, so the "swype" keyboard is what I'm used to.

Personally I find the "apple" keyboard very frustrating/limiting and dumbed down.

I realize there is a Swype keyboard for IOS, so I installed that. Only marginally better.

1) Is there ANY way to get the darn period (the "dot") to show up on the FIRST screen of the apple keyboard? Or at least have it be .com like on Android?

2) Why do I need THREE screens on the Apple Keyboard to use the pound key? I have to type a rather complex password for some things, and at least on Android, I could type the letters, hit the "number/symbol" key and get access to ALL the numbers/symbols on a standard keyboard there. On the Apple one, the numbers are on the "second" screen, but you have to hit the "#+=" key to get to yet a THIRD screen. Really?

3) Even with Swype installed, it seems that the native Apple Messaging app randomly decides when I can use the Swype keyboard and when I must use the Apple one. Why is that? For example, compose a NEW text message to someone you've never sent anything to before, I am presented with the Swype keyboard when entering the "to" field. When you go into the text body field, you get to use Swype. BUT if you are replying to a message, you are forced to use the Apple one (ugh). Any way to force it to use Swype "consistently"?

thanks!

I can't help you with the Apple keyboard as I don't use it.
However you may not know that you can install third party keyboards, I use SwiftKey and wouldn't use anything else.

I can't help you with the Apple keyboard as I don't use it.
However you may not know that you can install third party keyboards, I use SwiftKey and wouldn't use anything else.

Thanks, although I'm already using the Swype Keyboard, but it seems for some reason, certain things use the Apple one. Although I did find a FAQ on the swype website that indicated this is an issue and to move the Swype keyboard to the "first" position. We'll see if that works.

I'm surprised Apple made such a crumby "keyboard". Really? No period on the first keyboard and having to scroll through 3 keyboards to get to the # sign?

One of the functions that requires the use of the stock keyboard is for the entering of passwords. This is for security reasons so that third party keyboard apps don't have access to your passwords or access to the password encryption keys on the iPhone.

On the subject of how many pages of special keys there are, to fit more keys on the first page it would require that the individual keys be made smaller, making them harder to tap without hitting the next key by accident. Or, if the keys were kept the same size, you could end up with a keyboard that filled 3/4 of the screen, leaving little room for text entry.

Last edited:
Not often, like most people l guess when looking l downloaded SwiftKey
I took a moment to read though there disclaimer stuff.
As the man says they have access to everything.
If the company is sold you're data could be sold.
I wonder how many times I have pressed yes when Chrome as asked would you like us to remember your password........

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.

You can set it up to make a period by double tapping the space bar.

I mainly use two keyboards, SwiftKey and Apple Stock.
I will admit that Android has all the bells and whistles but for overall smartphone performance I don't mind giving up the bells and whistles associated with Android...Apple iPhone.."IT JUST WORKS"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never used anything but the stock keyboard. I use keyboard shortcuts for several useful items such as ½ and 

I find it very useful to be able to type them in directly without fooling around with character tables and the like.

I've only ever used the stock keyboard and I don't seem to experience many issues.

Am I missing out on something?

I've only ever used the stock keyboard and I don't seem to experience many issues.

Am I missing out on something?

If your happy with it, stay as you are. I have English and German and translator keyboard. Tried Swift key not for me