What's new

MyWi

JennieR

Reaction score
What's the chances someone will make another app like MyWi that won't be detected by the phone companies?

Who told you that mywi has been detected by the phone companys? The phone companys just detect your high data usage on ur phones and conclude that u might be using an app such as mywi. Any future mywi-like apps will act just like it. You can use mywi just dont abuse it.

Who told you that mywi has been detected by the phone companys? The phone companys just detect your high data usage on ur phones and conclude that u might be using an app such as mywi. Any future mywi-like apps will act just like it. You can use mywi just dont abuse it.

I'm sorry, but this is false. The companies know you are tethering without a dedicated plan because they can monitor whether or not a connection or request is coming from the iPhone itself or a Mac/PC. I forgot how but it has something to do with the differences between a iPhone and PC/Mac in terms of connection.

I'm sorry, but this is false. The companies know you are tethering without a dedicated plan because they can monitor whether or not a connection or request is coming from the iPhone itself or a Mac/PC. I forgot how but it has something to do with the differences between a iPhone and PC/Mac in terms of connection.

Wrong!! First reply is correct.

So I guess for now I should wait for a while before I jailbreak which if I understand correctly I can't do anyway b/c my firmware is 4.10.01. At least I can't do an untethered jailbreak. Thanks

Until someone actually shows proof of their statement, both replies are false lol

I think They can detect. I went to this site useragent.cc on my iPhone and it detects iPhone. Then I turned on mywi connected my iPad went to the site and it detects iPad not iPhone even though connected through iPhone 3G. If this site can detect what machine your on why not your service provider.

I went back to settings, general, about and checked my firmware again and that is what it is.

Man I too thought will share Internet through iPhone with iPad and notebook. But here it's either good phone plan and so so internet or good Internet and so so phone plan.

I have separate 3G for iPad and on note I use wimax 4G. Cost 900 rubles for wimax, 140 rubles for iPad 3G and 199 rubles for iPhone.

But it still cost less than in USA. I'm from Miami, and I used to pay $74 for phone and DSL, and then same for just cell phone. Not only more expensive but also more in pay check / cost ratio.

they can't detect it. but don't use it to power your laptop or whatever all the time, extreme data use will raise some eyebrows.

they can't detect it. but don't use it to power your laptop or whatever all the time, extreme data use will raise some eyebrows.

So it would be your advice not to use mywi as a my main source of Internet access? I live in a rural area and DSL isn't available to me so I use a satellite version and would love to get away from it. Thought mywi would be perfect and the day I pretty much decided I would jailbreak my iPhone 4 I read about Att detecting mywi. So being scared to death to attempt jailbreaking I decided against it. I should have 3G available in my area late this summer.

JennieR said:
So it would be your advice not to use mywi as a my main source of Internet access? I live in a rural area and DSL isn't available to me so I use a satellite version and would love to get away from it. Thought mywi would be perfect and the day I pretty much decided I would jailbreak my iPhone 4 I read about Att detecting mywi. So being scared to death to attempt jailbreaking I decided against it. I should have 3G available in my area late this summer.

But if you don't have 3G in your area yet, how are you going to use MyWi? It shares your phones 3G over WiFi. It can't magic up a high speed data connection if you dont have one to start with? Am I misunderstanding you?

JennieR said:

But if you don't have 3G in your area yet, how are you going to use MyWi? It shares your phones 3G over WiFi. It can't magic up a high speed data connection if you dont have one to start with? Am I misunderstanding you?

No you're not misunderstanding. I just heard about Mywi not to long ago. And when I heard about it I thought it answered so much for me since we can't get DSL where I live. I'm also still waiting for 3G but thought I could jailbreak my phone when we did finally get it. I could FINALLY have high speed Internet and wouldn't have to get rid of my unlimited data. And I thought I had time to decide....waiting on my 3G. Well you know how that turned out. I think At&t is the TRUE cyber bullie.