What's new

Map alternatives

cafleter

Reaction score
Hello. I'm a current Droid user, struggling between a decision on the iPhone5 and Samsung Galaxy SIII. Have an iPad which I love and am addicted to, so I'm very attracted to the iPhone 5 and the integration aspects.

I'm really worried about the new Apple Maps given I use phone navigation heavily - I travel a lot for work. Let's just assume it's going to take a long time for Apple to get their new Maps app up to snuff.

What alternatives are the iPhone folks using? I don't think you are allowed to download Google maps which I love. Need a very solid and reliable map app with voice turn-by-turn directions. None in the apple store get great reviews, and those that seem passable are $25+ - which I could purchase but find extremely annoying to have to purchase a map application.

Thanks for the advice.

Carol

The map quest app is a decent alternative. Used it all around Wisconsin and Alabama without any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure they will improve the map app in subsequent updates. For what it's worth, I MUCH prefer the integrated iOS map to the log google one. I haven't had a problem yet. Other than u can't use zip codes but that's no biggie.

I drive a tow truck in three different states and have seen zero issues with maps thus far. Average of 125 miles using maps daily since its release in every road setting, rural to major highway.

I drive a tow truck in three different states and have seen zero issues with maps thus far. Average of 125 miles using maps daily since its release in every road setting, rural to major highway.

I will say this, I have been putting Apple Maps through their paces lately trying to figure out what all the fuss is about. So far, on 5 300 mile round trips, they have not been wrong, and I have intentionally caused it to perform rerouting, and the rerouting was decently fast, I didnt miss any turns.

Here in Central NJ I've seen ZERO issues with Maps in iOS6. I am totally impressed with the stellar performance of Maps despite all the negative media being published. Note that many have reported that in the NYC area mistakes have already been corrected and those who had initially been disappointed are now tickled pink with how well the app works. So - a little patience - Apple is working non-stop to correct every issue reported as quickly as possible.

By the way - I moved from the Moto Droid after 3 years to the new iPhone5 and have no qualms or misgivings over the move. I'm totally blown away by the screen, the camera (both video and stills) as well as the ease of integration of most apps with my computer. I was very happy with the Android system, and it has taken a couple of weeks for me to adjust to many changes - but overall I'm convinced the move to Apple was the best decision I could have made.

I've been a Mac guy since '84, but hesitated until the five was released to jump ship from the Android as I felt the Apple lagged in many aspects. I suppose I could have been happy moving earlier, maybe the 4s - but I'm here now and this makes my life much easier (especially with iCloud).

Okay - I drifted a bit - but if it's only maps holding you back - have no second thoughts. Not sure of your area - but it seems reports show regional improvement daily. Meanwhile - many units for car use can fill the void until your iPhone Maps app gets up to speed. ;)

I thought the maps were only screwed up in select locations that you heard about in the first news reports. I go to Clemson University and was looking at the maps there and there's roads and intersections there that are going through or sitting right on top of buildings, going through fields...all kinds of crazy stuff! Why did apple try and even do their own maps? I was hoping as google maps kept evolving on the iPhone we'd eventually see more and more new features including Street View. Now it just seems like we took about 20 steps backwards!

Thanks to everyone - your responses are very helpful. And it's great to hear others are making the move from Andriod to the iPhone5 and have been pleased - I must say I'm looking forward to the integration of my Mac, iPad, and phone - having an Andriod phone is just difficult to integrate anything!

Thanks to everyone - your responses are very helpful. And it's great to hear others are making the move from Andriod to the iPhone5 and have been pleased - I must say I'm looking forward to the integration of my Mac, iPad, and phone - having an Andriod phone is just difficult to integrate anything!

I have to agree with you, it is nice. Will be better once I make that initial jump to a Mac, that's next on the list.

I thought the maps were only screwed up in select locations that you heard about in the first news reports. I go to Clemson University and was looking at the maps there and there's roads and intersections there that are going through or sitting right on top of buildings, going through fields...all kinds of crazy stuff! Why did apple try and even do their own maps? I was hoping as google maps kept evolving on the iPhone we'd eventually see more and more new features including Street View. Now it just seems like we took about 20 steps backwards!

I looked at Clemson just now with a hybrid map and things looked fine. I see sidewalks leading to buildings, but no roads through?

Edit:

I see one mistake, Feeley St goes right through a building, but if you look at the map closely, you will see that the building is under construction and likely has not been reported to USGS for map corrections yet. Yes, you found a mistake, but it takes at least a year for those changes to be made to any map.

Second edit:

I found about four streets, all with buildings that have been constructed in the last three years. This is normal and not Apples fault. There are streets local to me that have existed for five years and still not on Google Maps. Some things are out of any map makers control, this is one of them. It's also possible that Clemson has not reported these changes to the Government for map adjustments.

Last edited:
I am having very limited issues with iOS 6 Maps. Apple is doing a decent job in improving them.

Google Maps can still be used on the iOS device by going to maps.google.com and saving it as a bookmark on the home screen.

As far as an alternative, I would choose MapQuest. It's completely free and fast. The best thing about it is it offers free voice navigation and is INSANELY accurate.

horsehaulin said:
I looked at Clemson just now with a hybrid map and things looked fine. I see sidewalks leading to buildings, but no roads through?

Edit:

I see one mistake, Feeley St goes right through a building, but if you look at the map closely, you will see that the building is under construction and likely has not been reported to USGS for map corrections yet. Yes, you found a mistake, but it takes at least a year for those changes to be made to any map.

Second edit:

I found about four streets, all with buildings that have been constructed in the last three years. This is normal and not Apples fault. There are streets local to me that have existed for five years and still not on Google Maps. Some things are out of any map makers control, this is one of them. It's also possible that Clemson has not reported these changes to the Government for map adjustments.

This image is of the Hendrix center and the intersection right next to it. All construction around this building has been finished for at least 5 or more years.
$image-4094238510.jpg

This is the back of the library and this courtyard with the X shaped sidewalks has been there for at least 5 or more years also. I've found several others but these are just 2 quick examples.
$image-1319797630.jpg

Question though...these are screen shots taken off of my iPhone 4. I just got my iPhone 5 yesterday and when I look at that same are at the same zoom on the hybrid map, I don't see any white lines over the road indicating a street. The only one that shows up close to there for me is 93.

I second GPS Motion X Drive. Been using it for years.