What's new

Mail Push stopped pushing.

Athalwolf

Reaction score
I have two accounts in my iPhone mail and up to now everything worked fine. Now I only receive mail when I open the app. Both accounts used to push and I would receive a sound and a pop up notification. My phone is up to date.

Do Not Disturb is off. If I go to Settings/Passwords & Accounts Fetch New Data is set to Push.
However the two accounts only give me the options Fetch and Manual. I have Googled the issue and read that there should be a third option and that is Push. It's not there. Both are IMAP accounts.

Any assistance will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Athalwolf

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

Some accounts, like Gmail, don’t have the third option (Push), just Fetch and Manual. Those accounts won’t show new emails when your iPhone is not connected to Wi-Fi or turned off. If you want them to show the Push option as well, you’d have to set them up as Exchange account.

In Settings - Passwords & Accounts scroll down to Fetch, and make sure it’s set to “Automatically”. This should make sure you’ll get a notification that an email has arrived as soon as possible. Also check your notifications for these accounts.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

Some accounts, like Gmail, don’t have the third option (Push), just Fetch and Manual. Those accounts won’t show new emails when your iPhone is not connected to Wi-Fi or turned off. If you want them to show the Push option as well, you’d have to set them up as Exchange account.

In Settings - Passwords & Accounts scroll down to Fetch, and make sure it’s set to “Automatically”. This should make sure you’ll get a notification that an email has arrived as soon as possible. Also check your notifications for these accounts.

Hope that helps.

Hello J.A and thank you for the welcome and your reply. Fetch is set to Automatically in Settings. The phone is connected to WiFi most of the day. While I do have a GMail account I removed it from the phone. I had the App and Google used that to interfere with web browsing by constantly suggesting Chrome. What aggravated me was having to constantly decline installing it.

The email accounts in question are from two different service providers and as I stated previously both pushed emails for years. It is odd that they both ceased to do that at the same time. That is why i am thinking that it is an issue with the IPhone.

Also possible - and maybe about as likely as not - that both providers changed their settings/features.

My provider (also IMAP) doesn’t provide the option to push emails, btw. So using an IMAP account doesn’t automatically mean you can get “Push” for your emails.

Try force closing the Mail app, and, if that doesn’t help, remove the accounts from your device and set them up again.

Also possible - and maybe about as likely as not - that both providers changed their settings/features.

My provider (also IMAP) doesn’t provide the option to push emails, btw. So using an IMAP account doesn’t automatically mean you can get “Push” for your emails.

Try force closing the Mail app, and, if that doesn’t help, remove the accounts from your device and set them up again.

I deleted the accounts yesterday and recreated them but to no avail. This is odd.

One more suggestion: try using “Every 15 Minutes” or “Every 30 Minutes” in your settings, and see if that helps.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier as I was traveling. I have tries that to no avail. I may factory reset the phone. Thanks for all your help J.A!

No Luck with that. It's the Push option's disappearance I need to address. Thanks for all your help J.A!

I suppose you’ll need to contact the service providers.

One of the emails in question is my company email so I will speak with my web guy and see what we can do. If there is no remedy from the Hosting service perhaps we can move the account to one that provides push. The other is my internet service provider but again I cannot see them both changing policy at the same time as the companies are unrelated. I have the Outlook app installed for my personal email account and that is still pushing messages.

only can use iphone email addres... can not other email addres for push email n notificaton email