What's new

Looking a better then good GPS app

OriginalYankeeCajun

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. New to forum, and iPhone. Had iPods and iTouch for many years. But I didn't want to leave verizon. Just bought my wifes a 4S, and I'll switch to a iPhone5 when they come out and time to renew contract. I have a droid right now...(yes I can hear the hsssss) One of the good things about them is FREE gps with google maps. I asked about this at Verizon, and the guy smiled and said you can get our nav for only....bla bla. I turned him off.

I'm looking for a better then good if not excellent gps app. I don't mind paying for it, if its good, (Don't misunderstand me, I beleive in supporting good programming.) and I don't mind paying a SMALL update fee once a year. But rather avoid that. I looked at Garmin, and TOMTOM. On iTunes both got mixed reveiws. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Hello and welcome to the forum.......Try WAZE, its the best on out there IMO and its FREE!

Sprint offers Sprint nav. in hte contract. since it's now an iphone, this App is off the phone. in order to collect that app, you must go into the sprint store anddemand that app that is paid for

so would this hold true to VZ if it had that App, sure ooes

I say try out VZ store and ask them about the app. Before dishing out for a trial that has to be paid

Waze is crap...sorry my friend, I am in the same boat as you...there is nothing that is going to match the navigation that you had on Android. The closest at this point that I have been able to find is either TomTom or Navigon.

One thing to watch out for is that many of the free gps apps don't have all the maps residing in the device. They are reliant on having a data connection from which to download the needed map data. TomTom and perhaps some others store all the maps in your device. When we are driving around we are not always in cell phone range. No reception, no downloading maps. Oops, there is flaw here. For that reason I have chosen TomTom. it takes forever download. But I always have a working gps. That's a plus for me.

Thanks for the advise on TomTom gps. Buying a 4s tommorow. Would like to have gps on it.

Another vote for waze here. It is a great app and is improving all the time. Works great in my country. It guides you around traffic jams. Try it first. It is free after all. If you don't like it then look at buying one.

I tried Waze - It didnt show my street though (well infact my whole town was 99% missing, along with the next 3 towns which dont show up at all lols)

Try Waze first - in my case 95% of my local area is completely missing so I dont trust it even for streets it does actually show - Im not in a new estate or anything either (some places round here were actually convict built and the street layout is unchanged since back then for the majority)

I use TomTom - but a real one lol. I tried GPS navigation on my iphone but it kept overheating and shutting off when installed on the windscreen within about 20minutes (nomatter which program) - I installed it on a vent mount instead and found running the aircon all the time fixed the issue but after a month or so I gave up and went back to a proper gps unit built to withstand the heat in a car while also performing intensive processing - It was just getting too cold having the AC on all the time lol (yep it overheated if i turned off AC even with a vent mount)

Perhaps thats a Australian-centric problem though due our climate

Im a courier and used the tomtom app which is the only one i found that was 90% reliable door to door in the month or so I tried about half a dozen (most didnt even have the option or were really incorrect - and I hate trying to spot house numbers)

Last edited:
Another good GPS Application is MotionX GPS Drive. It cost 99 cents for the application with 1 month of voice navigation included. After that you could buy voice navigation on a monthly or yearly basis. I don't know if the offer is still available but they had a special yearly offer for $9.99 (60% sale). You can keep using the application without voice navigation if you wish.

This application lets you select the amount of space you want to assign on the phone for loading maps. It loads the maps and when you run out of map space it deletes the oldest ones to make space for new ones, so if you don't have data connection you might still be able to use the application.

Hope this helps you !!

I use motionX as well. very good app. i now use it exclusively as my garmin's (actually garmin, not app) maps should have been updated about 9 months ago. $9.99 a year is very reasonable in my opinion to get updated maps. my garmin was going to be around $70/year to update i think.

Thanks for the advice on motionX. It looks like a good choice. It's worth the .99 to check it out

I actually bought Navigon and I've had no complaints. The traffic addon is a really nice addition as well. I like being able to have my GPS device with me no matter what car I'm in.