What's new

Limit data usage on family share plan

JoeyD74

Reaction score
I have 4 I phone 4s on a family share plan with the 6GB of total data. Can I limit how much data each phone is allowed to use per billing cycle?

You should be able to limit them via My Verizon. I think I saw something on my cousin's My Verizon about data distribution. Otherwise, I think a Verizon rep can help you with it. They should be able to do something like the 1-2GB data plans where they lock your phone's data usage after hitting a certain point.

Here is my experience

Changed plans to share everything at the store and picked up a few iPhones, added the usage controls online at home as per the Verizon store guy at 4.99 per line, 5 lines..... 10 gb share. At the time of the add I had supposedly used 3gb, after set up at a cap of 2gb per line it told me that every line was over the 2gb threshold.... And that every line had used 3 gb......Remember all lines on share and 3 gb out of 10 had been used between all lines 2 seconds before I added usage controls. Waited a few hours to give it time to update and reset anything to make it right. About 4 hours later I checked again, same story. 3 out of 10 used on share data but on data control it had every phone at 3 out of 10 and thus had shut down all data per controls per line even with 7gb left on share. Called verizon and was told that usage controls did not work on shared data, and they removed them. Seems that the program is only seeing the total data and applying it to every line, why does this not surprise me... So far almost everything the guy at the store told me was way off. Yes it was a corp vzw store.

That was the only way i could see to limit the data, pay 5 dollars a line. This is my 1st full month of the plan so i watch it everyday to see what the usage is and if it gets close i will up the plan before the end of the month. For the 20 dollar restriction fee I can add 4gb a month if needed.